PMTS Direct Parallel 2 footed release for general skiing

PMTS Forum

PMTS Direct Parallel 2 footed release for general skiing

Postby Robert0325 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:28 am

I’ve spent a lot of time recently trying to perfect the slow 2-footed release from a standing start and coming to a complete stop at the end of each turn. After a lot of effort I think I'm doing a "reasonable job" in both directions. I quite like doing them and I’ve found that if you then link these turns together it’s quite a nice gentle way of skiing, particularly if you’re just cruising around slowly with your partner for example. Is this an acceptable way to ski and still stay true to PMTS? I ask this because up until recently I’ve always tried to transfer to the new edges as soon as possible after the release, but that doesn’t happen in the slow 2 footed release where, my interpretation is that you’re holding onto the little toe edge of the uphill ski until you’re almost to the fall line, then you go into the phantom move?
Robert0325

Re: Slow 2 footed release for general skiing

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:56 am

The two footed release is basically a late on set of big toe edge, learning to really flex the releasing leg deeply, and tipping with the new inside edge first. It's the reverse of the super phantom. PMTS Direct Parallel offers every range of turn and offers a skier who is developing into a complete skier that has all the tools, with the same basic movements. It's up to the individual to use what ever works for the slope you are on.

BTW. I changed your heading because it helps Google to recognize and pick up the consistent "PMTS Direct Parallel" message.
h.harb

Re: PMTS Direct Parallel 2 footed release for general skiing

Postby Robert0325 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks Harald - Is the brushing of the ski tips in the slow 2 footed release until you're almost in the fall line an acceptable method of going slowly on steeps or ice? Or is it preferable to get onto both new edges much earlier in the turn?
Robert0325

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:37 am

Making skis work on ice is a matter of progressive tipping and strong, yet delicate application of counteracting. Doesn't matter about two or one foot, it's how you apply tipping without "any" hip or torso rotation to accompany it.
h.harb

Postby NoCleverName » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:57 am

... so then what Diana is doing in the Brushed Carve vid is the front-end of the two-footed followed by a classic phantom? If so, interesting.
NoCleverName

Postby Robert0325 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:43 am

NoCleverName wrote:... so then what Diana is doing in the Brushed Carve vid is the front-end of the two-footed followed by a classic phantom? If so, interesting.

Had forgotten about that video, just gone back to re-watch it. It's a good example because in the early part of the video you cleary see the tips of the skis slip down the hill into the fall line and then into a phantom. Whereas when she gets a bit faster the phantom seems to start much earlier in the turn. Have I got that correct?
Robert0325

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

Keep in mind that we exaggerate the movements during the drill phase. In this drill we can exaggerate by hanging onto the LTE of the old inside ski to really get the feel of balancing on that LTE and then feeling the change from LTE to BTE as the tipping of the inside foot draws our hips across the skis.

When we link turns to create a BPST that LTE to BTE change happens faster and earlier in the turn.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:39 pm

All aspects of the "Essentials need to be balanced for aggressive skiing. Tipping has to match the CA and Cb. You can't get the tipping you want without flexing, the releasing leg. If you are too far back and didn't pull your inside foot back at release none of this works as well. So get the "Essentials in sync", and you will be an expert skier.
h.harb

Postby RRT » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:30 pm

No direct reference to the following yet, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1pt7p ... blxq2oRqwP
RRT

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 am

RRT wrote:No direct reference to the following yet, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1pt7p ... blxq2oRqwP

Yes, like that video. It's what helped me perfect the stationary release without going into a wedge.

Thanks Harald and Max for your advice. It now makes a bit more sense how the slow 2 footed release drills relate to everyday skiing. I'm also finding that foot pull back combined with flexing really helps when tipping to the LTE
Robert0325

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:28 am

We separate the movements out so that skiers can access them and practice what is missing in their skiing. We don't consider them exaggerated. If you perform each exercise for each Essential, as shown in the correct order and with the right movement range, you will ski like an expert. If one Essential is weak or under developed all are affected. A good release cannot happen without Flexing, and Tipping together, Pullback is just a result of holding the foot back when flexing. People say they don't feel the pull back. In this case, it's always because they are not "flexing" enough. PMTS is the perfect system, it leaves nothing out and nothing to the imagination or interpretation, it's all there and there are no short cuts to expert skiing, it's PMTS movements, the well documented movements and The Essentials.
h.harb

Postby Bun-chan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me find one of Harald's Youtube videos where he demonstrates both brushed turns and carved turns for comparison. I can't find it for some reason. By the way, I really like Diana's brushed turn video, but also want to show Harald's video to my friend. She has been into carving, and apparently has thought "skidding" or "brushing" is bad. I realized that when she asked me about my slow linked brushed turn exercise after she saw me doing it.
Bun-chan

Postby RRT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Bun-chan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I wonder if anyone can help me find one of Harald's Youtube videos where he demonstrates both brushed turns and carved turns for comparison. I can't find it for some reason. By the way, I really like Diana's brushed turn video, but also want to show Harald's video to my friend. She has been into carving, and apparently has thought "skidding" or "brushing" is bad. I realized that when she asked me about my slow linked brushed turn exercise after she saw me doing it.

There is skidding and brushing and they do not equate.

There is a brushed carve and carving.

Here are videos of Harald doing "Brushed Carves."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ha ... &FORM=VDRE
RRT

Re: Slow 2 footed release for general skiing

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 am

h.harb wrote:The two footed release is basically a late on set of big toe edge, learning to really flex the releasing leg deeply, and tipping with the new inside edge first. It's the reverse of the super phantom. PMTS Direct Parallel offers every range of turn and offers a skier who is developing into a complete skier that has all the tools, with the same basic movements. It's up to the individual to use what ever works for the slope you are on.

BTW. I changed your heading because it helps Google to recognize and pick up the consistent "PMTS Direct Parallel" message.

I'm little confused by the following wording: "reverse of the super phantom".

This is how I understand the super phantom. Can someone please
verify or correct this:

In the super phantom, the release begins by
flexing/relaxing the old stance leg. The skis begin to flatten.
Hold the uphill ski on LTE during this phase.
The legs, hips and torso will travel in the direction of the flattening (perpendicular to the direction of motion).
As they reach the point of being over the skis,
switch balance to the uphill LTE and continuing tipping the old stance foot toward LTE.
The tipping of the new free foot to LTE brings the center of mass
across the skis and causes the engagement of the new stance ski.

So the difference would be that balance transfer to LTE is done immediately in the super phantom
and gradually in the two footed release.
l2ski

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System