This just came up due to a video I was sent.

PMTS Forum

This just came up due to a video I was sent.

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:43 am

Over the years there have been many crack pots in ski instruction. I just came across a video David McPhail did about transitions, completely misleading like most of his other productions. Then there is the Hip steering guy and his crock of BS. Next the Aspen guy with the wide stance, hyper carving technique, comes to mind. Of course who can forget the complete fraud "Fastman". And all of BASI. Lots of bad information.
h.harb

Re: This just came up due to a video I was sent.

Postby Robert0325 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Being British I feel I must stick up for BASI, they're not all bad you know, and hell, they're all we've got! Have watched some of them race training at an indoor ski centre recently and they were exhibiting some traits of PMTS (at least to my untrained eye). No up movements at transition, early little toe edge engagement with no A frame. Some stemming though I noticed on some of the weaker racers along with too wide a stance.
Mind you this was all blown apart when I saw another BASI instructor doing an introduction to parallel turns by jumping in the air and swivelling the hips to put the skis in a new direction. Still he had good CA when he landed back on the snow!
Robert0325

Postby Jeet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 am

I bet he skiied into counter when he landed on the snow.
Jeet

Postby ToddW » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 am

Robert,

I can't speak to the specific BASI instructors you saw. But at Hintertux every year the PMTS camps overlap with large scale BASI certifications and clinics. I rode the lifts a couple of times last year with the innermost circle of examiners and heard their analysis of other examiners as well as candidates. BASI skiing leaves much to be desired. When they and we share the slopes, the two groups are visually distinct (and not by color of uniform.) By and large, they are friendly, outgoing folks and are serious about helping their students ... but they're hamstrung by a bad technical model of skiing.
ToddW

Postby Robert0325 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 am

Sadly I have to agree with you.
My goal is to try and attend a PMTS camp at Hinturtux some day
Robert0325

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Robert, I understand your defending BASI, however I can tell you unequivocally, they have no idea. I saw their top skiers, skiing, training and demonstrating, and I've watched their teaching first hand. I don't condemn unless it's merited. And BASI is a lost cause. I do this to save people frustration, not to grow my product. I am not in competition with BASI, but people are being taken for a ride. All I can do is in good faith, warn people against being taken. If someone is offended and doesn't choose to listen, it's their time and money.

One exception however, Alan Baxter, who I've talked with over the years, a former world cup skier, is on their Demo Team. He can ski.
h.harb

Postby Robert0325 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 am

Thanks Harald, I fully agree with you, just frustrated. Unfortunately BASI is all we have here.
Yes I used to enjoy watching Alan Baxter in Slalom many years back.
Robert0325

Postby DougD » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 am

Unfortunately, being ABLE to do something athletic doesn't always translate into KNOWING how you do it, still less how to TEACH others to do it. That is what HH provides us.
DougD

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 am

ToddW wrote:Robert,

By and large, they are friendly, outgoing folks and are serious about helping their students

I have traveled on this continent and Europe often for skiing and I tend to encounter and share lift rides with numerous Brits on Holiday. And All I can say is that the above description applies to every single one of them. Gregarious and enthusiastic as hell, always having fun, great to meet up with later at the Bar, I can't think of any other group that is as stoked to ski as the british people I have met. They certainly get the vacation part of a ski vacation.
B.Mulligan

Postby Robert0325 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 am

B.Mulligan wrote:I have traveled on this continent and Europe often for skiing and I tend to encounter and share lift rides with numerous Brits on Holiday. And All I can say is that the above description applies to every single one of them. Gregarious and enthusiastic as hell, always having fun, great to meet up with later at the Bar, I can't think of any other group that is as stoked to ski as the british people I have met. They certainly get the vacation part of a ski vacation.

I have to agree with all the above, I've been one of those "Brits on Holiday" myself. These days though I like to take my skiing a bit more seriously. Too old to stay out all night drinking and then be up early for the first ski lift.
Robert0325

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System