Foam liner

PMTS Forum

Foam liner

Postby davidpjr » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Has anyone had success with foam boot liners??
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby jclayton » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Yep,
had some Strolz liner fitted to my Head FR 10.5's a year ago , improved feel considerably and stiffened the boot . With the Harb footbed articulation of the ankle was still good and I felt the boot was even more "lateral" ( if thats possible ) . Harald fits the conformable I believe . I would go ahead and do it , you can always keep the other liner for Harb carving in the summer so as not to get the good one all sweaty .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

foam liner

Postby davidpjr » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:16 am

Did you make your liners with different orthotics and then put Haralds in or were they made with Haralds. The place I checked to have them made said that such footbeds that are flexible will get distorted when they inject the foam..
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby jclayton » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:25 pm

I used Haralds , what they told you sounds a bit odd as your foot is pressuring the foot bed and no foam goes under the sole .
jclayton

Postby *SCSA » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:30 pm

I tried them, would never do so again.

1) On cold days the foam got hard and caused sore spots. My boots felt like frozen cement. I didn't like the feel of my boot once the liners were injected -- way too stiff.

2) The foam ended up breaking down, inside the liner.

Now my foam liners are doggie chew toys.
*SCSA

Postby Rookie » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:13 pm

Hey SCSA - no foam now huh? You switch BACK to zip fits? I love em'

Try the Zip Fits!

Rookie
Rookie

Postby *SCSA » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi rookie,

The foam liners were Zipfits too -- it used to be that one could inject them. So didn't really switch back to Zipfits, that's what I wear now. I just would never foam inject them.
*SCSA

Postby jclayton » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:55 am

SCSA ,
I find that really surprising , but , different strokes for different folks ! In my case the foam liners increased the feel , the first day though the boots were that much stiffer and I was trying out a stiffer ski so on the first turn I wasn't centred and was catapulted off the piste . I use the Head liners ( which are not too bad ) with the carvers but only so I don't wear ( smell ) the foams out too quickly .

Maybe they weren't well made ?
jclayton

Postby *SCSA » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:23 am

j_c,

It could have been a bad injection job, that's for sure. I was going to try the Comformable Liner this year but I didn't. I think I"ll try it next year.

I'm totally sold on a snug fit. I just didn't get it with the injection.

Before next season if HH and co. are bullish on the Comformable, I'm going to try it. Last season, Diana was iffy on the Comformable; her take on them was that they either work great, the foam holds, or the foam collapses.
*SCSA

Postby Max » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:30 pm

What makes you guys switch from the stock liners to the fancy custom jobs? Just curiouis.
Max

Postby jclayton » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:55 pm

See above . Also I find the standard ones pad out quickly and I have trouble getting a comfortable fit anyway .
jclayton

putting Strolz liners into Head shells

Postby DavidV » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:59 am

jclayton,

I am planning to do the same thing to a pair of Head Worldcup shells. I am
currently skiing in a 7 year old pair of Strolz which have been very comfy but throw my alignment *way* out (3 deg or more each leg .. thanks to Scott in Fernie for the alignment work last week ! :-) )

Where did you have the Strolz liner foamed into your FR 10.5's ?
Did you have any particular issues fitting the Strolz liners to the Head shells ?
The only place here in Sydney is Larry's ..

thanks for any insight/suggestions
DavidV

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:36 am

DavidV,
hi , I had my liners done in St Anton , the Strolz boots are not so good , very rotary ,but the liners are fantastic . It's worth a trip to St Anton to have them made . I went to see Harald in Dumont especially last year to have my boots fitted , he also does conformable , the trip from Spain wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny . I've been struggling with boots for 15 years . Wish I could get to Oz for the season but I don't think work will permit , whats the forecast ?
jclayton

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System