Plan for real improvement this season!

PMTS Forum

Re: Plan for real improvement this season!

Postby skijim13 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:55 am

I can tell you that 45 minutes of slantboard training gives your back and legs a great workout. We built new slantboards this weekend following the plans on the website exactly, we now have his and hers boards so we can work on them together. Today at the gym my legs were still screaming at me.
skijim13

Plan for improvement this season

Postby ToddW » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:01 pm

A-Basin's about to fire up the guns, so I figure it's time to bump this thread for the new season.

I made good progress last season despite little snow in Vermont, a knee injury, and a very short season. Thanks, Harald, for making my progress possible including that bit of footbed wizardry! To quote Geoff, "that PMTS shit really works!"

I lost the gains my first day at Hintertux trying to keep up with a posse skiing soft bumps in the fog while still wearing a knee brace and fearing re-injury. That brought back old habits fast ... right at the end of my season. Thus, much of my plan is built on last year's to recover and solidify those gains.

Over the next few seasons, I aim to build significant reserve capacity for my weaker movements so that a distraction like chasing after a fearless skier through the bumps in the fog with a weak knee doesn't derail my skiing long-term.

Who else is thinking of what they'll do in the new season?

=======================

SMIM: holding CA through transition

flexibility / ROM (daily dryland CA practice to loosen hips up; keep injured knee happy)

3-part focus on carrying technique to steeper / ungroomed
- CA (edge retraction exercise!!!, continue drills, timing, and themes from last session with Harald)
- flex deeper and sooner
- strengthen hamstrings

seek out ice / scraped off to test and improve high C balance and tail grip from CA in brushed turns

week with Harald in February

Hintertux camp in March

secret weapon: Harald's new edge retraction exercise

Thoughts for the season*: aggressive relaxation + hold and roll

----------------------------
*Harald's phrases, not mine.
ToddW

Postby geoffda » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:40 am

Anyone looking for improvement this season should pick up the new dry-land video: http://harbskisystems.com/collections/e ... ion-evideo. This video shows you how to practice the Essentials anywhere.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Guys, it's been awhile, I've been climbing and driving cars all summer, now I'm thinking skiing; so I'll get more active here. I leave for Boston tomorrow, the "Conformis" knee replacement company, (best knee in the business) my friend Hermann Gollner, a super star in his own right, is getting one this month. Conformis company, has invited me to come to a company seminar and forum to talk about my rehab, my activities with my new knee and how to maximize your experience post knee replacement. I love doing this, helping others who have either injured or destroyed their knees. I'll get back on the forum when return home.
h.harb

Postby Jeet » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 am

Hello,

This is the moment I have been waiting for. HH in skiing mode :). Oh yeh....

Jeet
Jeet

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm still working on stuff from last camp, and hoping mostly to get more days in this year. Now that I live in VT and there's a local hill with lights 20 minutes from my office, I can head over for $5 Fridays and get dinner for another $5. I'm thinking I'll designate Friday as drill/work day, so I feel less bad about chasing my friends through the trees on the weekend. Maybe I'll even get better!

Then there's that bumps camp I'm attending in Feb/March..
dan.boisvert

Postby skijim13 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 am

My goals for the season:

Improved getting skis on and off edges: been working on tipping saw I needed to improve on this based on the new E video, need to tip more and keep tipping to the end of the turn

Reduce the time my skis are flat in transtion

Improve CA/CB learned that I could be doing more of this thanks to the new E video and the new skelton

Hope Todd shows up to Killington so he can show me the edge retraction exercise drill that I need to learn
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:55 am

When a parallel aspiring skier has a wedge or when an expert demo Team skier has a wedge it's for the same reason. Wedging comes from an improper release. If you can't flex and relax the outside leg at the end of the arc to release, you have to push off it. This delays the onset of the CG to the next turn, however the new outside leg still begins the edging process. To do this you rotate the uphill leg to twist the ski to an edge, hence a wedge turn. The leg and ski are twisted because they have no weight on them, so steering of the side of the body is the culprit. The push off ski can't be twisted in the same direction as the new outside ski because it's locked into the snow. This is the end result for the skier, who was taught this movement, And therefore had to also learn the extension which goes with most any ski lesson taught for an "A" framer..
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System