Ski Books

PMTS Forum

Ski Books

Postby h.harb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:16 am

I was asked on Facebook what ski book I read. I thought about it, there are no ski books that actually tell you much about skiing that you can use. Maybe the DesLaurier book. Can anyone think of books that have instruction you can use? Not the Elling book that's just revised PSIA.

h.harb

Re: Ski Books

Postby NoCleverName » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 am

The only ski book other than yours that is worthwhile is "The Art of Skiing" ... a book about vintage ski posters (no, I don't mean "old people who post on this forum").
NoCleverName

Re: Ski Books

Postby DougD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Lito's original book (c. 1985) was hugely worthwhile *for it's time*. It was truly a "breakthrough" because it was the first book for average, recreational skiers that openly challenged TTS dogma. It was hugely influential in helping me and many others try to ski in a different, more effective way. Following it made it easier for me to adapt to PMTS, because I had fewer bad movements to unlearn.

It's technically obsolete now, thanks to you, but I still have vivid memories of watching friends flounder to survive with rotation based skiing whilst I was letting the skis do the turning for me.

For current books, meaning anything in the last 20 years, theres only one useful source. The Deslaurier book is interesting, but PMTS covers technique better. Everything else I've seen is garbage.

Spoken as a Vintage Ski Poster! :lol:
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System