Two Footed Release (TFR) Drill

PMTS Forum

Two Footed Release (TFR) Drill

Postby Max_501 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 pm

To help students working on the TFR.

VIDEO: PMTS - Mastering the Two Footed Release

h.harb wrote:Unfortunately, even if one reads the PMTS description correctly, for two footed releases and watches the video of AOCBAES 2, and tries to practice them, most often one becomes so focused on the outcome, which in skiing is always, 'turning the skis'. We develop movement for that outcome. If we don't have the skills to use counter acting movements, we shall develop an outcome anyway, the wrong one, which usually results in turning the skis with body rotation. We can easily be fooled into using body rotation to turn the ski. But, if you want a 'bullet proof short turn', you have to learn the release without body assistance.

Skiing is no longer about turning the skis with the hips or even the legs, especially not with assistance from the upper body. The tool doesn't require it and rotation, also kills efficiency. This is the basic message we give out in PMTS lessons, Skiing is no longer about turning the skis, it's about getting them on edge and balancing properly over them.

That said, how do you introduce counter acting into your two footed releases and then your skiing? First let's address 'Anticipation'. I don't use that word because it's convoluted TTS jargon. Lito uses it in his books, but I find it confusing because it's a catch all for anything that has to do with strong counter rotation, specifically at the end of a turn; to create an edge set and rebound. It does however in it's true form at least get a strong edge set and produces the famous, "Upper body facing downhill", instruction cue, we all know so well.

In there purest, refined form, PMTS two footed releases do not need forceful counter rotation movements, in a dynamic sense. But you may have to be forceful at first to feel the movement, and reduce the energy from this movement as you refine the upper to lower body relationship. Refining means realizing better balance in the movements.

In a two footed release, the skis are flattened and the tips are pulled downhill by gravity. Because the skier should be standing slightly forward with the boots under the hips, it works beautifully. Since the upper body is positioned at the start, to face downhill (zipper downhill) when the skis begin to release the legs become less angulated. The legs, as the release begins, follow as foot tipping increases, move staying directly and vertically straight over and above the skis (the skis at this point are releasing to become flat to the slope). The legs and hip stay vertically (not leaning or inclining) over the skis, until the falline, The hips should also be positioned directly and straight over the skis, as opposed to leaning or inclines. If there is any inclination or angulation at this point, the skis will run off , especially if you are sitting back.

As the skis begin to approach the falline (tips headed downhill) the upper body, and hips must be held 'in check'. By 'in check', I mean they should not move with the skis (in a rotational sense) but instead a slight tug should be used to pull the hip back, this is enough to keep the hips from rotating, and the tug begins the counteracting movement, which holds the body, from the hip up, from swinging into the arc. The new counter acting should happen just before the skis tip to the new edges. We use the reference of the hip to the inside of the arc, to give skiers a sense of hip angulation. Of course, this has to change from turn to turn, so it is logical that in the two footed release that the hip has to change sides as the skis come to the new edges. It is described as new inside hip to the inside of the arc. In a two footed release this should happen at or near the falline.

Balance is critical. Leaning the hip or upper body inside before the falline in this exercise kills it. Leaning outside (over the outside ski is far better). You have to maintain balance that keeps the hips directly over the skis or the skis will edge too early. Remember there is no speed to help in this exercise, that's the whole point. This exercise incorporates every essential in skiing. It is the ultimate test. It requires, balance, high level tipping skills, upper body control, even flexing and extending. As you refine your skills your skiing will be come expert. In the AOCBAES 2 DVD, I show a long series of these turns.

When you do this exercise you will have trouble at first. It is not easy. When you practice it, refinement will develop. Without a coach there with you, you won't get the right input and it will take longer. Even for a coach, it is difficult to analyze the movement and where the skier needs to focus attention. No TTS instructors will understand how this is done correctly, as there is no leg rotation or steering involved. And they don't want counteracting to happen. This exercise develops the purest turn, it can be done solely with the use of releasing, balance, gravity, and engaging. These movements lead directly to brushed short turns and then high grade quality carved turns.

A few things to watch for when practicing:

- Begin with the correct orientation of the body. Study every detail, from where the pole is planted to where the upper body faces. (Video book 2)

- Be patient, let gravity take the skis to the falline, don't rush to achieve a turn. Most will have to rush because the level or quality of balance will not yet be established . If you are in balance you can do this very slowly with complete control. That's part of what you need to learn through this exercise. Most skiers don't have it.

- Flex and pull back the new inside boot and ski. The big toe edge has to be released first, and that foot and leg need to be active through the release to keep the new inside ski ahead of the new big toe edge ski. Most skiers will engage the big toe edge too early; therefore creating a converging tip situation, which is a wedge.

- Leave the new stance ski foot passive (moving to the big toe edge) until the very end or finish, focus instead on little toe edge tipping.

- Inclination or hip angle can be added near the end, (it happens naturally) just before it's time to release for the next turn.

- To begin the new release - Flex the legs again.
Max_501

Re: Two Footed Release (TFR) Drill

Postby geezer skier » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 am

Thanks Max (and Harald) for the review.
geezer skier

Postby MarcS » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Can I assume that these instructions and movements are exactly the same for the one footed release and weighted release exercises but with balance being on one foot instead of two?
MarcS

Postby Max_501 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am

MarcS wrote:Can I assume that these instructions and movements are exactly the same for the one footed release and weighted release exercises but with balance being on one foot instead of two?

The movements are always the same.

Keep in mind that the TFR described above is in the weighted release category because the old downhill ski is partially weighted during the release. We practice a one footed weighted release while moving instead of from a dead stop as used in the OFR and TFR drills.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Max,

Thanks as always for the helpful summaries and reminders you post. This one's excellent, as was your followup.

Question: is there any reason a (very skilled) skier couldn't practice the Weighted Release from a stationary start? I realize the balance and movements are more challenging than in the OFR and TFR, but if one were sufficiently skilled...
DougD

Postby MarcS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks Max.
In reply to DougD, I have'nt tried it yet but the logic of PMTS would say yes if you had perfect balance.
MarcS

Postby gaku » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:29 am

h.harb wrote:As the skis begin to approach the falline (tips headed downhill) the upper body, and hips must be held 'in check'. By 'in check', I mean they should not move with the skis (in a rotational sense) but instead a slight tug should be used to pull the hip back, this is enough to keep the hips from rotating, and the tug begins the counteracting movement, which holds the body, from the hip up, from swinging into the arc. The new counter acting should happen just before the skis tip to the new edges. We use the reference of the hip to the inside of the arc, to give skiers a sense of hip angulation. Of course, this has to change from turn to turn, so it is logical that in the two footed release that the hip has to change sides as the skis come to the new edges. It is described as new inside hip to the inside of the arc. In a two footed release this should happen at or near the falline.

A few things to watch for when practicing:

- Begin with the correct orientation of the body. Study every detail, from where the pole is planted to where the upper body faces. (Video book 2)

- Leave the new stance ski foot passive (moving to the big toe edge) until the very end or finish, focus instead on little toe edge tipping.

- Inclination or hip angle can be added near the end, (it happens naturally) just before it's time to release for the next turn.

Thanks for such a thorough description of the TFR. If you don't min me asking:

1. "leve the stanse ski passive until the very end or finish": just to clarify here, the aim is to finish the turn with a BPSRT rather than finish with an edge-locked turn by actively tipping the stance ski to the same angle as the inside ski right before stopping? If I sometimes have tendency to turn up the hill (so much so I would slide back unless I use my poles) when finishing with the PM, is that due to lack of CA (more rotation, loss of even ski pressure) or fore aft balance?

2. Hip angle or upperbody inclination her refers to upper body / hip CB? I feel like my best PMs occur when I manage to increased both CA and CB throughout the turn and finish with a complimentary pole plant.

3. What do you mean by 'tug'?
gaku

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Bounce because of the importance of the TFR. If you haven't mastered this drill then get to it.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System