Question about tipping

PMTS Forum

Re: Question about tipping

Postby emakarios » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:54 pm

In spite of the fact that this string has included some great input from PMTS coaches such as Max, Geoff and Harald, it has also shown the occasional futility of a skier new to PMTS running on and on with uninformed theoretical ranting. Those new to the system should get some training from an accredited instructor, study the material and post some video for feedback. Those that don't have the sense to do this should be banned and sent to Epic
emakarios

Postby skijim13 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:16 am

I agree with your statement, PMTS is different from TSS and you need the mindset that you will be learning to ski a new way and have to start from the ground up. You can't mix parts of PMTS with TSS and expect to get the true benefit from the program. A person new to PMTS should buy Expert I book and the video and start with that first. I was at my first Superblue camp this year and was surprised that some of students would pay money to go to the camp but did not do pre training and learn some basic concepts like CA, CB from the books and videos to prepare for the camp. When I taught college classes it was the students job to read the book on the lab before they came to class to know what they would be working on. My role was to be available to help with problems in the class and be a model for good technique, not make up for something they did not put any effort into. PMTS supplies the best roadmap to learning skiing, it is the students job to follow the roadmap exactly as shown in the books, and video. The next key is to have a method to validate you are doing the moves correctly (external cues, video analysis, a PMTS partner, post your video on the forum, or for the best feedback go to a camp), since you can easily fool yourself into thinking you are doing the moves correctly. Once you can do the new movement correctly you need to own it in your skiing by using the new movement every time you ski. The worst thing you can do is to ski with your friends on very hard terrain on the edge of control and not think about your skiing, this will just bring back all your old bad techniques. Everytime I ski I think about what I am working on before I go down the hill. Another key to PMTS is learning balance, this can be done by dryland training, check out the Harb website and make yourself a tipping board and do all the drills on the site. A good friend my wife and I are teaching PMTS to has as his key limiting factor to be balance he knows that this summer he needs to work on this to move to the next level. Once you start to learn PMTS and see the results in your performance you will never want to use TSS skiing again. My friend is sold on PMTS since he now never falls and skis even crude conditions in control.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 am

skijim13 wrote:I was at my first Superblue camp this year and was surprised that some of students would pay money to go to the camp but did not do pre training and learn some basic concepts like CA, CB from the books and videos to prepare for the camp. When I taught college classes it was the students job to read the book on the lab before they came to class to know what they would be working on. My role was to be available to help with problems in the class and be a model for good technique, not make up for something they did not put any effort into.

A useful analogy, though one or two differences may explain (if not excuse) why some PMTS newbies don't respond as one would expect in a university setting.

Before reaching university lab classes, students spend 12+ years in school. They've been exposed to countless examples demonstrating just how little they know. They expect to encounter levels of knowledge exceeding anything they can easily imagine. They've practiced preparation habits and have learned - the hard way - that failure to prepare produces poor outcomes and perhaps public embarassment.

Few recreational skiers, especially newbies, have had similar preparation in their skiing experiences. Skiers who haven't been exposed to very high level skiing in person cannot appreciate the almost unimaginable gulf between them and HH and other PMTS coaches. Newbies coming here are effectively walking from kindergarden directly into the university lab and can't appreciate what they're getting into. I sympathize with them and with the coaches, who are understandably frustrated because (unlike the students) they've seen this 1,000 times before.

While I'm relatively new to PMTS, I've had the good luck or good sense to ski and/or be coached by several WC level skiers over the last 25 years. Every one of them skied in ways that were utterly mind boggling. Even casual free skiing on the tails of a WC racer is a shocking, mind-opening experience. If he/she were skiing seriously, attempting to actually ski with them would be laughable or suicidal. In other words, I know how inadequate my skiing is because I've skied with a fair number of world class skiers up close. :oops:

That sort of humbling is helpful in letting go of preconceived ideas, extraneous questions and the other "noises in our head" that can frustrate learning. It's most effective when experienced in person, less so from a book, internet forum or even video. Until you have that experience, it's hard for many skiers to appreciate what's on offer here, and equally frustrating for PMTS coaches when they don't.

That said, read and master ACBAES1... :wink:
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:46 am

Doug, well said all of us here had been lucky to find PMTS and learn what it is to use the best skiing methods possible. I have been a student of skiing for a long time and have an high drive for learning new things
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 am

In spite of the fact that this string has included some great input from PMTS coaches such as Max, Geoff and Harald, it has also shown the occasional futility of a skier new to PMTS running on and on with uninformed theoretical ranting. Those new to the system should get some training from an accredited instructor, study the material and post some video for feedback. Those that don't have the sense to do this should be banned and sent to Epic!

Thank you Ebbie
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System