un-groomed terrain

PMTS Forum

un-groomed terrain

Postby klou » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Hey everyone,

This is my second post, on the forum, I have been mostly lurking and reading (and as far as my abilities go, tried to apply what I have read here!)
For some context, I went to the Green/Blue camp this year, and it was absolutely great, I felt I made some consistent progress and have continued to practice
the movements I learnt in camp and from the books (I have both ACBAS1,2 and the Essentials, videos included). Just recently I have been practicing the
Super Phantom and putting tons more emphasizing on balancing on the LTE.

Overall I can perform the phantom, from traverse, fall line etc, I can perform the SP on blue/green, and I can perform the single foot release (two footed release is still
something I'm working towards).

However, all that seems to fall apart when I hit un-groomed terrain, the one with mounds that has been skied off. Thus far my own analysis is, that: I hesitate before
releasing from the LTE (flex, tip, flex bit) comes too early in the lower C and I end up in a traverse; I sit back (!), considering I have consistently been practicing pulling the free foot back after tip, I seem to be too far back even before I get there. I have been practicing the fore/aft balance on groomed terrain and I get a confident grip on that, but again, as I move past it.. things just fall apart. I have to say, it can become a bit intimidating to practice the moves on the terrain.

With all this in mind, are there any tips I can follow that would help me progress better with more confidence?

Thanks
Lou
klou

Re: un-groomed terrain

Postby milesb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 am

When on easy groomed, flex and tip and pull back much more than is necessary. This is your practice for ungroomed.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:43 am

Lou, bear in mind that off piste skiing challenges all the essentials exponentially. Most learning PMTS skiers are still perfecting their tipping skills and off piste skiing demands excellent fore aft balance and large amounts of counteracting. It is quite common for some of the essentials that hold up reasonably well on groomed terrain to fall apart off piste. The best way to improve is to practice one essential on an off piste run and exaggerate it. Its best to have video shot so you can see for yourself if it is holding up. Alternate between a groomed run where you do a drill to reinforce that essential and go back and do one run off piste exaggerating that essential. The way to insure you don't advance is to keep skiing off piste terribly and reinforcing survival moves and bad movements.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby klou » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks for the tips jbotti and milesb. I have been sticking mostly with groomed terrain until I'm confident enough to try them on un-groomed.
However grooming in Revelstoke is not that great, and most runs are just skied off with lumps of snow everywhere (snow piled up after grooming).

Lou
klou

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Lou, find the flattest ungroomed terrain that you can keep going on to practice your balance. Keep things simple. Just tip and balance correctly. Then add the movements you know one by one. When you get off balance, just stop. Restart back in balance. As you get bored with this, continue the movements on a slightly steeper slope, remaining in balance, and stop when you get off balance. I sure do know how easy it is to rely on the old defensive techniques that never work well but seem safe. When you get the feeling for the new PMTS movements, you'll realize how much safer proper movements are.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:16 am

Another important movement is to hold the free foot (inside foot) next to the stance foot and prevent the stance from growing wider and your balance to shift to the inside foot. Here in the Northeast went we get wet sticky crude snow this move is very important to prevent from having a yard sale in the snow.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:51 am

skijim13 wrote:Another important movement is to hold the free foot (inside foot) next to the stance foot and prevent the stance from growing wider and your balance to shift to the inside foot. Here in the Northeast went we get wet sticky crude snow this move is very important to prevent from having a yard sale in the slop.

Fixed it for you, Jim.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:17 am

klou wrote:Thus far my own analysis is, that: I hesitate before releasing from the LTE (flex, tip, flex bit) comes too early in the lower C and I end up in a traverse; I sit back (!), considering I have consistently been practicing pulling the free foot back after tip, I seem to be too far back even before I get there.

Did you confirm your analysis with video? Very important because most of us can't self analyze without it.

If you hesitate on RTE then you lose the momentum needed for the new turn and will probably start the turn with some sort of active rotation. Sitting back in uneven bumpy slop will certainly be a challenge! Have your worked on any of the fore/aft drills in Essentials? What was your SMIM from camp?
Max_501

Postby klou » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks Max. Sadly I'm skiing alone, so getting a video of myself is not easy. However I can post one of my camp videos if that could be useful?

With regards to sitting back, I have the sensation of the skis just shooting under me, so I have spend more
time on re-centering by pulling back the free foot. I have done the essential fore/aft drill, feet pull back with tipping.
Also, I can feel where pressure is on the bottom of my feet, and I feel the pressure on the heel when I *think* I'm too far back.

My SMIM was balance on the LTE, but I got aligned just before camp, so I would say I had to work on everything (and continue to do so)
- since that literally changed my world.

That said, I'm bow legged, with about 3/3 degrees on each foot (yea) and skiing 80mm underfoot, which is not making things easier.
However, I have been paying much more attention on my tipping and flexing. This could entirely be a mental fabrication, but I feel that
I'm not tipping as much on the BTE and sometimes lose edge hold. So doing more indoor tipping.
klou

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System