CB and tipping

PMTS Forum

CB and tipping

Postby BigE » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:49 pm

It has occurred to this novice to ask if CB can be considered a result of tipping as opposed to an input to tipping to greater angles?

I find that the more I tip, the more CB is created, and that attempting to create a *lot* of CB by itself does not increase tipping angles.

Thank you!
BigE

Re: CB and tipping

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:09 pm

CB = counter balance... you're countering your tipping. The feet lead your movements. CB does not create tipping... it keeps you balanced as you tip.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

BigE wrote:It has occurred to this novice to ask if CB can be considered a result of tipping...

Nope. It is an active and usually strong movement in the opposite direction of tipping.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:07 am

BigE wrote:... attempting to create a *lot* of CB by itself does not increase tipping angles.

That's true, but it enables increased tipping without introducing other, less effective movements to stay balanced.

If you fail to increase CB, the only way to support higher edge angles is to lean. Leaning impairs balance, overwhelms fine tuning of edge angles by the small muscles of the foot and undermines the ability to release and transfer smoothly into the next turn.

CB and tipping are separate movements but they must be coordinated. As Max noted, generating adequate CB to support higher edge angles without leaning requires an active effort. It doesn't just happen. I see slantboard exercises in your future!
DougD

Postby BigE » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Thank you for helping organize my thoughts/words. From my own experience, DougD's comment that CB enables increasing tipping really hits the spot in terms of linking the two ideas.

I have several other quandries that I am trying to clear up as well. I'll post about them as well.

Thank you all!
BigE

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System