Two Footed Release in Moguls

PMTS Forum

Two Footed Release in Moguls

Postby sujo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 am

I have been doing a lot of static, TFR’s on green and blue slopes. It has really helped my mogul skiing in that i was able to get down steep and icy moguls slowly and in control. My main focus is on a deep flexing release of the downhill ski at the top of the mogul which brings the skis around easily with pressure on the tips to control speed. There is still much room for improvement such as keeping the boots pressed together through the turn and maintaining CA but I can now get down mogul runs that used to abuse me before I got better at the static TFR.
sujo

Re: Two Footed Release in Moguls

Postby skijim13 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:45 am

There are great progressions on how to do moguls using PMTS in both expert I and expert II both in the books and in videos. Have you looked at these?
Chapter 12 in Expert II book has a great progression in the bumps. For me the key moves that I think about besides releasing by flexing is connected phantom moves in the bumps with a blocking pole plant, another key for me was inside foot management (keeping it held back as well as from spreading away from the outside foot). Expert II book has a great discussion on this on as well in Chapter 6.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 am

Worth pointing out that Bumps is at the end of the books, long after the skier has developed a rock solid Phantom (Book 1) and rock solid TFR based BPST (Book 2).
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 am

One could take max's comments a step further and say that if you don't have rock solid CA that holds up everywhere and in all conditions, its better to stay out of bumps. Why, because if and when the CA breaks down rotation is inevitable and practicing this is bad.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skijim13 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I agree having good CA is a key upper body move and it is more likely to break down in the bumps where it is very important to have and maintain. If you are having trouble with the CA purchase the Angry mother E-Video it is a great way to learn CA.
skijim13

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:15 pm

A really early phantom move can work nicely in bumps if the TFR isn't working out for you.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:29 pm

MonsterMan wrote:A really early phantom move can work nicely in bumps if the TFR isn't working out for you.

In very easy bumps perhaps, but if the skier has any interest ripping in more challenging bumps the TFR and a full weighted release will be needed.
Max_501

Postby Icanski » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Also helps if you have rounder bigger bumps like you get out West. Here in Ontario, it's like skiing between laterally spaced haybales. the trough is a zigzag line which means super quick phantoms, or you end up pivoting and letting the trough control you vs. you turning where you want.
I agree with Max, get it going on the groomers short and quick, then venture into some nice bumps. Don't reinforce bad habits.
Icanski

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:14 am

You better have a solid Super Phantom on groomers first. Pushing the tail of the uphill ski up the hill even for an iota, will kill you in the bumps.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System