More talk from the chair

PMTS Forum

More talk from the chair

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi all,

First of all, we're all (all 3 of us :wink: ) are doing a good job of not bashing...the other stuff. Let's just talk about this little thing called PMTS.

One thing I learned today in talking to some instructors is that the perception seems to be that PMTS is Harald's system, or that it's proprietary. It's neither.

First of all, I'd argue that Harald didn't invent anything. What HH and company has done, is made it so we can learn quicker. The terminology is simple and easy to understand and there's great learning aids.

It's not Harald's system -- they teach race technique! They teach balance, skiing on the edges. Harald didn't invent race technique or balance.

HH and company teaches the Primary movements. Movements that ski racers and all mountain skiers have been using for a long time and that they use every day. Once I was able to describe this to the two instructors I talked to, they were like, "Oh. I didn't know that. That makes sense."

So if anybody ever asks, PMTS is not proprietary and is not Harald's system. If anything, PMTS is a standard. Like I say, it's the same technique that racers and all mountain skiers use.

Does that work for you guys and gals?
Be cool,
-- SCSA

Postby chicken » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:59 pm

SCSA - I understand what you want to say, but I think your message may be taken the wrong way. We do not want people to think of PMTS as eclectic, but ....

Ford did not invent automobile, but he did bring it to the masses. I think Harald and his gang deserve the credit for thinking through, articulating the pinciples of PTMS, and turning this thinking into a teaching system.

"Proprietary" and "eclectic" mean different things to me. Harald system is proprietary - it is trademarked after all - but is by no means eclectic.
chicken

Postby -- SCSA » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:39 pm

Hi chicken,

Yeah, what I meant to say was that HH really teaches balance and race technique. So all the hoopla saying HH's system is proprietary, I guess my response to them would be, "How can balance and race technique be thought of as proprietary?"

So this is what I mean to say. Obviously, HH is breaking new ground here with the stuff he's doing.

Be cool,
-- SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System