Question about control speed in high C

PMTS Forum

Re: Question about control speed in high C

Postby RRT » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 am

Like rwd, I need to put out a big THANKS for the feedback and video. That is some beautiful skiing, Harald, that is both motivating and inspiring.
RRT

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:25 am

Here is the same run without freeze frames. The bindings were set on 4. I had loaned out the skis, so I forgot and didn't check the settings until my ski came off while skiing, near the end of the run.

h.harb

Postby cheesehead » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:53 am

What is "railing the ski"??

And Phantom Drag??? I don't remember "drag" put together with "phantom." What book or video is that explained?

Thanks.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Time to catch up, Instructor Manual. Rails, are like tracks, rail road tracks, a ski that is tracking without control.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Max_501

Postby rwd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Reading these posts got me thinking about the exceptions to "be active with the free foot and passive with the stance foot". If I understand correctly, one should avoid active tipping of the stance foot to the BTE (except maybe near the end of a strong carved turn), but may tip the stance foot to the LTE to reduce edge angle or delay stance ski tipping. Where were these advanced concepts first presented? : in the Green Circle drills from the original on-line ski lessons! It's not a good idea to skip the "easy" drills that you believe are meant for lower level skiers!

While I work on refining these tipping skills, I have found that returning to the "touch-tilt" super phantom release works well because then I have the full tipping range of the stance ski from LTE through flat onto the BTE, with a good o-frame and free foot tipping clearly leading the way. Strong free foot pullback and CA work especially well with these.
rwd

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:45 pm

All that is necessary is in the books and videos that are available. You just have to do the exercises as prescribed and stop looking for the sliver bullet. There is only one sliver bullet and that is correct practice of PMTS movements.
h.harb

Postby cheesehead » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Would you say that "side-cut skiers" are "railing"?

(By "side-cut skiers" I think you mean those that may throw their hips from side to side over parallel skis, but they aren't actually bending the skis)
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

As far as I'm concerned, any time the skis are taking the skier for a ride its a form of railing. "Carving" is when the skier takes control and bends the ski.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System