Tipping in powder

PMTS Forum

Re: Tipping in powder

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm

h.harb wrote:Once I find my balance; I can go 70/30 distribution. But if you try to be 50/50 all the time or 90/10 all the time, it will never happen. You need to be constantly adjusting, always.

FWIW, what made a big difference for me was this, learning to be able to vary my weight distribution, learning to adjust balance between the feet at will. I'm still a rank novice compared to most of the guys on here but I have been able to make successful forays into powder into the last couple of years without making too much of an idiot of myself, and this was the key thing which helped. When you ski on hard snow all the time, you get used to having 90% of your weight on the outside ski in the turn, but when you then take this into the soft snow, you go down, unless you make some adjustments (or have ridiculously fat skis). I find that playing around with weight distribution, particularly when I'm just pootling around on the easy stuff, cat tracks and the like, helps me get a feel for what I need to do in softer snow.
JohnMoore

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System