A question about counterbalance

PMTS Forum

Re: A question about counterbalance

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 pm

cheesehead wrote:I wasn't trying to make it complicated. Lifting the inside hip is a recognized PMTS goal.

Lifting the inside hip with a nearly straight spine is the goal. It is not clear how your thought of moving the lower spine fulfills this goal. If you get dryland video on a slantboard it might help us understand what you are trying to do.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Ultimately curving the spine to get CB, isn't the goal. I have one athlete who is a top skier, 13yrs, and used only his spine for his CB. This wasn't going to take him to the top, so we began to really focus on moving his CB down to his hip. In as short a time as 6 months, his CB improved dramatically.

This guy has Counter balance and he has a bad back.
h.harb

Postby cheesehead » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:13 am

jbotti wrote:It seems that for many it is easy to make things more complicated than they need to be...

Thanks for the responses. I think I understand. But your statement did make me smile.

Aren't you the guys who have come up with 6 different ways to do a pushoff?? (you do know I'm kidding, don't you?)
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:15 am

h.harb wrote:Ultimately curving the spine to get CB, isn't the goal

This reminds me of something that I recognized on the bike last summer. If you are cornering in sandy conditions you can more or less shove your bars to the side and down, bend the bike to the side, and essentially CB around the corner with your torso upright instead of the natural inclination to lean to the inside. Doing this keeps the tires from sliding (i.e., they carve, I guess!) If you stay square on your seat and CB just with the spine, this technique is harder and less effective. On the other hand, if you keep your hips parallel to the road and essentially ride on the side of the seat, it works pretty good. In fact, down a moderate slope, it's kind of fun to do this as if on a slalom course.

At the time I was impressed how similar this was to skiing movements.
NoCleverName

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System