A tool to develop balance and find the sweet spot

PMTS Forum

A tool to develop balance and find the sweet spot

Postby Jeet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:40 am

Hi Guys,

I wanted to work on my balance, I do balance exercises daily which has made a huge improvement in me being able to able to balance on my stance leg.

I found this new cool tool called the SKIA SWEET SPOT. It's basically a block which sits under your boot and is aligned with | A mark on the sole or the side of the boot. When you balance on the block your balancing on the sweet spot. You get 4 blocks (beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert). It helped me tremendously, I felt more stable on crud, powder and in the bumps. You can also perform the dry land drills on these blocks.

Tell me what you guys think? If you know any more ways to work on my balance please let me know.

Great bit of kit.

Website = http://www.skia.com/

Jeet
Jeet

Re: A tool to develop balance and find the sweet spot

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 am

We have them for testing fore/aft balance.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:56 am

Been using one for the past two years, is a real eye opener to where you stand on your skis. Still can't do the last small block that it comes with easily.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:48 am

Remember it's not like skiing at all, on a ski you have leverage front and back to adjust your balance on the tool you only have you body to change position. The position maybe totally wrong or different from your skiing position.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 am

skijim13 wrote:Been using one for the past two years, is a real eye opener to where you stand on your skis. Still can't do the last small block that it comes with easily.

IMO this device is useful for identifying your fore/aft balance point in boots. And if you want to know where'd you'd be balanced on your skis when standing at the bottom of a run waiting for your ski buddies. IMO, it doesn't simulate fore/aft balance or train fore/aft balance for actual skiing.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Harb Carvers will let you know about "fore/aft" in a hurry!
arothafel

Postby Jeet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 am

Slightly confused, are saying this is a waste of time, or does a help a bit with fore/aft balance?

I just trying to get a feel on how much time I should dedicate myself with this tool. I am getting my Harb Carvers in 2 weeks time. Is it better to concentrate on lateral balance first?

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Erik » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:36 am

While dryland tipping on a slant board drills the timing, sequence, and range of motion of the muscles for tipping, CA, and CB, I do not see a similar benefit to this device for fore/aft balance. One of the reasons I think it is limited, is to think about the muscles you use to maintain your fore/aft balance in skiing. I don't see how this device really allows you to activate those muscles.

Couldn't you just put a half-round dowel on the floor, put on your boots and your skis, and use that as a lever to test your balance? You could actually focus on getting forward with feedback from tip pressure, and the balance point would rock you back if you got in the back seat.

Max 501 wrote: And if you want to know where'd you'd be balanced on your skis when standing at the bottom of a run waiting for your ski buddies.

My buddies are always waiting for me at the bottom of the run because I'm "making too many turns" :roll:
Erik

Postby Jeet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:01 am

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the insight. I look forward to the Harb Carvers see how that feels.
Jeet

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System