Balance over the outside ski!

PMTS Forum

Balance over the outside ski!

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Read this:

The "Balance Turn" few learn it and fewer can make it.

Then this:

Mistakes are from ski coaches, not kids.

And finally this old thread from 2006 -

Carving Madness

Then go back to page 1 of Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1.
Max_501

Re: Balance!

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:53 pm

The pearls of wisdom that one can find on this forum are extra-ordinary, beyond the conprehension of mere mortals. I think if a US Ski Team coach or and PSIA examiner read this stuff their brains would explode. And for us it's just daily fare. What does that stay about us, and about them?

Max501 do you memorize all the posts on this forum or do you search for specific topics to find them? I didn't fortunately detect one contradiction, in at least what I wrote, in the last 8 years down this forum's memory lane.

max501 thanks for the flashbacks.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:19 am

Where is Dewdman when you need him? What a blast from the past!

And great stuff. As someone who learned and focused on edge lock or two rail carving well before developing a bpsrt, I would encourage everyone to do the opposite. Develop a true bpsrt and carving a ski on rails with the ski bending and de-cambering will be easy. And... You will be able to ski all over the mountain effortlessly.

The progression laid out in books 1 and 2 is the right progression which is probably more like simultaneous development.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:49 pm

h.harb wrote:Max501 do you memorize all the posts on this forum or do you search for specific topics to find them?

Just a good memory I guess. When I read your post it got me to thinking of past threads that were related. You've really hammered it home that great skiing starts with balance.

Here's a great article you wrote in 2005 that is related -

Phantom Move as per PMTS
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 am

Forgot I wrote this, I like it.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Time to bounce this topic once again. Start with the first post, read the linked content and be honest in assessing your ability to balance over the outside ski. Far too many forum readers are skipping this very important fundamental.
Max_501

Re: Balance over the outside ski!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 am

Definitely some great information in those links and a reminder to all that if you cannot execute a proper phantom move, you cannot ski PMTS. Simple as that. It is actually amazing how many very good [by TTS standards] skiers struggle with linking turns using a phantom move--proof they have been making unbalanced turns for their entire skiing careers.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby A.L.E » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Max_501 wrote:Time to bounce this topic once again. Start with the first post, read the linked content and be honest in assessing your ability to balance over the outside ski. Far too many forum readers are skipping this very important fundamental.

Guilty as charged!

Given my own hip dumping expertise :( I am constantly lifting the inside ski to validate balance. Garlands and weighted releases are two other favoured balance developing drills. Both help expel back seat skiing too.
As I lift the inside ski I focus on the pelvis levelling. These images Harald posted demonstrating CB using the pelvis with white tape across his hips is a great mental image. My next avatar needs to show it....

Narrowing my stance, pulling the inside boot back to touch the stance boot as the lifting/tipping occurs is the other focus. Diana's videos I purchased and watched last month when I was teaching a friend to ski reinforce same. http://harbskisystems.com/products/shor ... rns-evideo
This video is for learning quick short turns. All done on green terrain accessible to anyone.
Anyone with balance issues just needs to pay ten bucks and practice what Diana demonstrates.
A.L.E

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Bounce, another good sticky candidate.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System