Which PSIA level is this?

PMTS Forum

Which PSIA level is this?

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:51 am

Ask any PSIA devotee friends to show which PSIA principles are demonstrated in this pic of Bode Miller's downhill win at the World Championship. This looks to me like feet close together laterally but apart vertically to allow for the angulation, weight on the outside ski, inside foot pulled back, hands out for balance...where have I heard these moves suggested?

Great ski racing photos at Agence Zoom
http://www.zoom-agence.fr/english/accueil.html

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Ott Gangl » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:34 pm

PSIA would never tolerate diverging ski tips, duh!

No recreational skier skis like this. This is like comparing a drive to the supermarket with the Indy 500. Yes, they both turn the steering wheel left and right and keep looking forward and their hands on the wheel, etc. But that's about it.

Bode or Maier or any racer have the things you mention in common, so have most accomplished skiers or they couldn't ski but to suggest that any of them come from a particular school is deluding yourself. If anything, Bode skis like the Austrians.

...Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Tommi » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:40 pm

Seems to be more than 60 degrees from the stance ski to CM. Hey, thats at least 2 Gs, on one ski. I agree with Ott..these guys are from another planet.

Bode's single ski performance was impressive to watch..
Tommi

Postby Harrison » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:35 pm

thats level A THOUSAND
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

Re: Which PSIA level is this?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:58 pm

Ken wrote:Image

which PSIA principles are demonstrated in this pic of Bode Miller's downhill win at the World Championship.

Ken

Uhhh....Balance, Edging, Rotary, Pressure... it's all there.

PSIA states high performance racing is beyond it's relm of instruction, but it works well for 97% (or more) of people skiing.

Mom and pop at 20mph and Bodie at 70 are obviously two very different creatures and should be treated (coached) as such. You CAN talk about both cases using the same vocab and principles.

"Which PSIA level is this?" Level 9 has a very broad range. :wink:

Rotary?

Postby *VicP » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:18 am

Hey "Guest"

uhhh...,

Where do you see Rotary in this picture?

Probably in your mind's eye.
*VicP

Postby Ott Gangl » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:34 am

Hey guys, let's not get into this again because of different definitions by different factions of what rotary is. Guest may be saying that if Bode's femurs don't rotate in his hip socket when he gets from this position to the next he will be stuck in this counter rotated position forever and you may interpret rotary meaning that Bode has to swivel his skis or twist them around their axis.

Bode, like all of us, guides his skis through some means so they know where to go, may it be by edging and bending, pressuring or by pointing and diverging the tip of the free ski in the direction he wants to go, as Bode does in this shot, which, BTW, is a deverging rotary motion.

So here you have all kinds of interpretations of 'rotary' pick one or non, it doesn't matter, let's just not discuss it unless you would like to explain your idea of what rotary is so we don't talk past each other.

...Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:49 pm

Sorry, my computer won't let me sign. Same guest as before.

Thanks for going into some detail Ott. I would agree with you.

The "Rotary" I spoke of is how Bodie's Shoulders are pointing a few degrees further to his left than his hips are. Do you see it Vic?

Rotation around an Axis is a Rotary movement.

We can call it "Counter" if you prefer.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 pm

When your a guest you can't edit.

Apologies to Bode for putting an I in his name.

Postby Eddy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:09 am

Why do you people insist on calling everything rotary, when even within your own brotherhood of PSIA you don't know what it means. You can't even explian it, which is obvioius based on the amount of time you waste talking about it, defending it and redefining it. I completely understand now why Harald never talks about rotary and for that reason PMTS is so simple and it works.
Eddy

Postby Ott Gangl » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:38 am

Right, Eddy, as I said, let's not bring it up again...

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System