Big picture

PMTS Forum

Big picture

Postby lukezhang » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I try to summarize a big picture of PMTS. I know everything has to come together with timing. It could help me practice perfectly towards the goal.

Skiing is like walking with one leg support and the other leg guide for the next step. Separate lower body from upper body. Keep upper body stable while lower body swing around. One reach great angle when lower body closer to ground.
lukezhang

Re: Big picture

Postby jclayton » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:20 pm

A big picture ? A big generalization and over simplification ! As Max 501 always says start with book one , step one .
Cues like keep upper body stable etc etc are of no use in learning PMTS . They use very specific , targeted cues progressing step by step .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby lukezhang » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 pm

I am not asking how and where to start. Question is "Can PMTS be summarized in a few sentences"? I hear from you say no.
lukezhang

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes. See the sample turn in Essentials.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jclayton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm

I suppose you could say PMTS is World Cup race turns detuned for general use but the basics are the same . One sentence !
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby theorist » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I'll give it a shot:

In PMTS you don't turn the ski by turning the ski. [Zen version: "When you seek you shall not find."] You turn the ski by synergistically deploying the underlying movements (the five "Essentials") that cause the ski to turn.
theorist

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Exactly like in the Zen philosophies. "Skiing isn't about "turning", it's about tipping and staying in balance for the amount of your tipping movements."

"The more you seek to turn, the more you fail." For this reason, steering and trying to use rotary movements, will always be a failure and the downfall of your efforts.

The same idea as "less is more", or reverse technical thinking can be said for the use of the inside of the body in PMTS, inside foot tipping, releasing of the big toe edge to convert it to the LTE, create the new inside, (early inside initiation) along with, inside hip, shoulder and arm held higher, inside hip and inside of the body should be more forward through the arc, all to create edge hold and create angles on the outside. The more you try to create edge hold and angles with your big toe side, (Outside ski) the more you limit your skiing progress and your ski performance.

In this sense PMTS is a contradiction to conventional and historical ski techniques and teachings. Those that say that PMTS is the same old stuff, just reworded or rebadged, are ignorant about movements and biomechanics, as well as skiing's history.

Merry Christmas!
h.harb

Postby Ihamilton » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

A word summary doesn't help me much but pictures and videos do. The first time I saw a HH ski video at a friends house I thought this is how I want to ski! Since then looking at stills or videos is how I coach myself. I often go into a restaurant on the mountain for a coffee break and look at HH's blog or his 17 second simplicity video and come up with something that I think I can improve on.
I went to ABasin this fall for 5 weeks to observe PMTS'ers and try to copy them. I watched young kids in pmts camps, adult pmts camps, a number of pmts free skiers and pmts coaches. I even got a couple of days in with Diana so I have some video I can replay of myself. For me watching and understanding what the PMTS'er is doing to make the image is a key to my ski and coaching improvement. My moto is intelligently observe and copy.
Ihamilton

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System