PMTS Stoke

PMTS Forum

PMTS Stoke

Postby geoffda » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Here is some video that Diana shot of me a few weeks ago. Figured I might as well post it up to the forum.

geoffda

Re: PMTS Stoke

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Nice turns! Nice snow as well!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Ihamilton » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Ditto John's comments. Geoff, I am about the same height as you and John are, although I think you are at least an inch taller than I am. I am 6' 2''. I am trying to get my feet closer together but they are about the same width as your feet in this video. I reviewed video that Diana shot of me at the tech camp. The conditions were about the same as in your videos and I try through out the turn to get my feet closer but certainly I am wider than Harald, Diana or Walter. We are taller than those 3 so is this a result of height, or is that something else I am going to have to improve on?
Ihamilton

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Really great skiing Geoff.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby arothafel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Sweeeeeeet turns, Geoff!

Your hard work, effort and drills are paying huge dividends.
arothafel

Postby geoffda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Ihamilton wrote:Ditto John's comments. Geoff, I am about the same height as you and John are, although I think you are at least an inch taller than I am. I am 6' 2''. I am trying to get my feet closer together but they are about the same width as your feet in this video. I reviewed video that Diana shot of me at the tech camp. The conditions were about the same as in your videos and I try through out the turn to get my feet closer but certainly I am wider than Harald, Diana or Walter. We are taller than those 3 so is this a result of height, or is that something else I am going to have to improve on?

Thanks everyone.

Irwin, I'm actually only 6', but I dobut height itself makes a difference. I do have tibial varum (some bowing of the tibia) and perhaps that factors in. For myself, I tend to gravitate towards fist-width when I ski. That is just where my balance seems to work best and I'm most comfortable standing on my skis at my typical speeds. I was also one of the few who had to widen my stance to learn how to independently tip my feet. That said, the insides of my boots are scuffed and much of the Head logo has been scraped off. So clearly, my stance isn't always what it may seem. I was using a wider than normal stance in the bigger angled turns as I was doing kind of modified power release turns.

We teach with ultra-narrow stance because it helps promote dynamic balance, makes the movements that produce good skiing easier (which, in turn, increases the odds for student success) and allows us to use the boot-edge touch as an external cue that students can then use to verify they are doing things right. For learning, narrower is better (and you need to be able to demo it). As skiers progress beyond the intermediate ranks, however, I think stance width becomes more natural and more variable. As long as your stance is narrow enough so that it doesn't hinder your ability to balance or perform the necessary movements, I wouldn't think it is something you necessarily need to change.

OTOH, you might decide that you like the look of Harald's skiing and decide to make the change for reasons of style. Whether you would be successful, I don't know. It's funny because I've been feeling like my skiing is good, but wondering why it doesn't look like Harald and Diana's. Even more funny, various people have been telling me for several weeks now that my skiing looks very much like Harald and Diana's. About all I can come up with is that our bodies are unique and we should be happy with whatever style emerges as we master the movements. Form follows function, but it may be that we don't all get to end up looking exactly like Harald.
geoffda

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:15 pm

geoffda wrote:Form follows function, but it may be that we don't all get to end up looking exactly like Harald.

Well, damn. There goes my plan for getting the girls. :(
dan.boisvert

Postby pzotalis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Nice work Geoff. When are you coming to Welch?
pzotalis

Postby Lester » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 am

Great skiing, pleasure to watch.
Lester

Postby Skizoo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

Impressive skiing Geoff. Your dedication really shows
Skizoo

Postby geoffda » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:06 pm

pzotalis wrote:Nice work Geoff. When are you coming to Welch?

Thanks again everyone. Peter, Welch is a bit too far to travel, but once you succeed in buying out Vail resorts, I'd be happy to coach at any of your Colorado locations. :D
geoffda

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:08 am

Great skiing Geoff. I'm curious, what are you working on in your skiing now?
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Matt wrote:Great skiing Geoff. I'm curious, what are you working on in your skiing now?

At Geoff's level it become less about one thing and moves to the refinement of EVERYTHING! More tipping, more CA, more pullback, more, more, more!
Max_501

Postby blackthorn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:09 am

I try and learn from looking closely at these clips. ( and other PMTS skiing clips). In the last two clips, looking at the first turn or two of a sequence from a standing start I see why emphasising inside leg flex and tip to LTE, flex to release, and early counter, is essential at slow speed in this snow.
Last edited by blackthorn on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackthorn

Postby A.L.E » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:53 am

Monsterman & I spent a couple of days skiing with Geoff earlier this month and we were super impressed with Geoff's skiing. Great to see the improvement since I last skied with him a few years ago. His skiing was even better and more fluid than the videos here. I certainly made the comment to him it was looking like DR & HH. Perhaps a bit OTT to compare to HH but given he had been invited to do some coaching at the next super blue camp I certainly thought his skiing is very much like a PMTS coach and had no hesitation saying so. Not that I'm the expert judge by any means...but there's no doubt Geoff walks the walk as well as talking the talk with his analysis here on the forum. Not just the groomers either, some steeps at Breck and bumps at Keystone were all done with PMTS coach quality turns.

The Summit County crew of Steve, Pam, James & the other Geoff, whom geoffda skis with each week, are fortunate to have him for inspiration and for the very good advice he gives. Talking to them about Geoff's progress it was clear they were as equally impressed as Monster and I were.

Hope the coaching this week is going well Geoff and thanks for showing us around Keystone and Breck. I'm building the long overdue tipping board this weekend....
A.L.E

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System