PMTS Stoke

PMTS Forum

Re: PMTS Stoke

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 am

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:Great skiing Geoff. I'm curious, what are you working on in your skiing now?

At Geoff's level it become less about one thing and moves to the refinement of EVERYTHING! More tipping, more CA, more pullback, more, more, more!

Ok, I see. Is it also about timing of those?
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Only if there is a timing issue. For example, it wouldn't be uncommon to see pullback come just a hair late in steep bumps.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the kind words ALE.

Matt, to add to what Max said, I'm always working on more tippING (and keeping all of the movements progressing throughout the turn). One other refinement I'm actively working on is around my pole usage and trying to ensure that my outside pole tip stays down so I don't undo my counterbalance. Balance in general is a big thing, as is precision of movement. You just keep drilling down, looking for ways to make the movements better and the skiing smoother. To some it is just minutia, but to others it is all about removing one more obstacle between them and that elusive perfect turn.
geoffda

Postby blackthorn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 pm

I don't think they are minutia. It's not just about the elusive perfect turn. Correct movements will be recruited when free skiing difficult varied terrain.
I do appreciate your analysis on other posts.
blackthorn

Postby geoffda » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 am

blackthorn wrote:I don't think they are minutia. It's not just about the elusive perfect turn. Correct movements will be recruited when free skiing difficult varied terrain.
I do appreciate your analysis on other posts.

Yes, but I think what Max was touching on is where do you go once your movements are strong enough to ski everything? At that point it does become minutia. Jay, Bob and I spent Monday after teaching in a 40 minute discussion involving a tiny amount of hand rotation and it's implications with respect to a pole plant. None of that it going to change anything I can do as a skier, and very few people will even be able to notice the change if I can make it. I'll try to make the change solely because it will make me a little bit better as a skier.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm

The details on "what next" don't matter unless you are already at Geoff's level. We can always find things to improve, even at HH's level.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 am

PMTS doesn't take away your ability to have your own personal style. Style is different than "function", it's personal and has to do with "flexibility" , a certain way you hold your arms and hands and your body proportions. The biggest difference is flexibility. Diana and I rarely stiffen up during the curve of the arc, we continue tipping movements with appropriate counter acting throughout the turn and range of the arc.. Especially noticeable on steep slopes. This gives our asking a relaxed flowing look.

I've been skiing on a size of boot too big and too wide this week. Still doesn't change my style.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 am

h.harb wrote:
I've been skiing on a size of boot too big and too wide this week.

Why?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby geoffda » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:40 am

jbotti wrote:
h.harb wrote:
I've been skiing on a size of boot too big and too wide this week.

Why?

Harald is tired of being Harald. He's trying out the "Joey" approach to skiing for something different! He mentioned something about skiing in jeans as he was leaving yesterday... :mrgreen:
geoffda

Postby Erik » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 am

I was fortunate enough to have Geoff as a Coach in the last part of the Blue/Dark Blue Camp this week. The skiing that Geoff posted in this thread does not do full justice to his overall skiing. The videos that are taken in the PMTS camps are almost always done not as "free skiing" but to demonstrate a particular focus area that the skier has been working on. Geoff fit right in when he was skiing alongside Jay and Bob at full speed with the unique rhythm, grace, and style of PMTS skiing.

Geoff has everything it takes to be a great PMTS coach. He had a tough act to follow because Diana was our coach for the first part of camp, but he was up to the task and did a fantastic job. The skiers in our group were very diverse in PMTS experience and SMIM, so I had a chance to see his versatility and range of coaching skills. Geoff was very interactive with each skier and laid out a series of drills that the entire group executed, but tailored for the particular needs of each camper. He gave clear demonstrations of each of these unique tailored drills for each camper, with immediate feedback for improvement. Geoff not only has a keen eye for the video MA, as we have seen on the forum, he can do it in real time at full speed. The group had the opportunity to enjoy Geoff's great explanations on the impact of various movements (good and bad) on ski performance, and he always had specific directions for the skier to take the next step for their individual focus area. Geoff's passion for skiing is clear, but he also did a great job in supporting each skier as we had our own roadblocks and individual failures in executing the program. Geoff helped each skier find alternate ways of achieving improvements in their SMIM if they were running into frustration or confusion.

While it is fun to watch expert PMTS skiers develop great angles in full, dynamic turns, I was just as impressed with seeing how expertly Geoff executed the drills and demonstrations on very flat terrain, including variations of these drills. It was obvious that Geoff has invested a lot of time in performing and perfecting these movements on the flats. In every case where I had problems with balance or saw a difference in my turns to the right or left on the flat terrain, those differences correlated exactly with my performance on steeper pitches. Every skier in my group benefitted from the time we spent on gentle slopes this week. The camp this week has renewed my dedication to use the flatter terrain for focused practice on the elements I want to work on while skiing on steeper slopes.

Thanks for a great camp, Geoff! I got a lot out of it and I know that many future PMTS skiers will enjoy your illustrious career as a PMTS coach.

Erik
Erik

Postby geoffda » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:09 am

Erik, thanks so much for your feedback! Coaching for the first time is a bit nerve wracking since you know exactly how high the expectations of the campers are going to be. I'm very happy to hear that you had a good camp and got some value out of my coaching. Hopefully, you can keep up the good progress you were making and experience a big jump in your skiing. You have the potential to be a very good skier and you are so close to putting it all together. Hope to see you out here again. Shoot me a pm if you are up for making some turns.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 am

Yikes! I would not want to be in the position of coaching a group after Diana had them. Talk about a hard act to follow!
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:40 am

Erik wrote:Every skier in my group benefited from the time we spent on gentle slopes this week. The camp this week has renewed my dedication to use the flatter terrain for focused practice on the elements I want to work on while skiing on steeper slopes.

Right on the money.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 pm

We don't train any of our coaches better than others. We train them all with PMTS knowledge in every respect, at every level. Then it's up to the coach to demonstrate his personality and his skills with the information learned, and Geoff has done this. And as any coach that we ask; he has the technical PMTS knowledge, having the ability to communicate that knowledge, is a personal skill and ability. Not everyone has that ability. There is no mistaking that PMTS coaches are a rare breed, few coaches have the dedication to bring their complete skiing and teaching ability to the level we require at Harb Ski Systems and that our guests expect.

Like others on our rotating staff, Geoff came by his coaching excellence through hard work and dedication over many years. As did Jay, Walter, Bob, and our others. We are thrilled to have Geoff as a coach for our system, he is a great ambassador for PMTS.

Besides the on hill coaching at our camps; there are hours of behind the scene boot work and adjustments made for almost every camper at some time during these camps. Those are the hours that most don't see and have a great impact on the success of our campers. Contrary to what many may think, we don't have a bunch of elves working on boots every night. It's the coaches that do the work and that takes them often into the late hours of the evening. Every Harb Ski Systems coach is alignment trained. Too bad the US Ski Team coaches can't say the same!!!?????
h.harb

Postby gaku » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Impressive turns, Geoff! :)
gaku

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System