Finally got my footbeds done...

PMTS Forum

Finally got my footbeds done...

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:41 pm

With the new ski season approaching I decided I couldn't waste another year, and finally made the trip over to the Netherlands from the UK I've been planning for ages, to get my alignment looked at by Jasper Heinsius at Portes du Ski. As far as I can determine, apart from during the Hintertux weeks when Harald et al are over, this is the only place in Europe where I can get this done the PMTS way. I was expecting to require some boot canting, but after having the footbeds made up, my alignment was neutral enough for Jasper to reckon that wasn't necessary. This was a relief - it makes it a lot easier to change boots if I can just swap over my footbeds.

So I'm really excited about what this will mean for my skiing in a few weeks time. I doubt that it will make a huge difference in alignment terms, as I don't think I was that far out to begin with, but I hope to be able to feel some extra control over my skis and a greater precision in tipping movements.
JohnMoore

Re: Finally got my footbeds done...

Postby HighAngles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Congrats - it's definitely an important piece of the overall puzzle. It's nice to know from a mental perspective that you have one less thing to worry about in pursuit of your skiing "perfection". :mrgreen:
HighAngles

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:06 pm

HighAngles wrote:Congrats - it's definitely an important piece of the overall puzzle. It's nice to know from a mental perspective that you have one less thing to worry about in pursuit of your skiing "perfection". :mrgreen:

Ah, but one fewer excuse for my gross skiing imperfection as well. :)
JohnMoore

Postby arnokamphuis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:59 am

So Jasper is great? I am really thinking of letting my alignment be done there (only three-quarters of an hour's drive). This will make my choice a bit easier :-)
New to PMTS | 34 Years Skiing Experience | Marcel Hirscher Fan | Father of 6yo
arnokamphuis

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:56 am

arnokamphuis wrote:So Jasper is great? I am really thinking of letting my alignment be done there (only three-quarters of an hour's drive). This will make my choice a bit easier :-)

Three-quarter of an hour's drive and you're hesitating? I had a 90 minute drive, a flight, an overnight hotel stay, a train journey from Amsterdam - and I reckon it was worth it (although the test will be on the snow in a month or so's time).

So, yes, go for it! Jasper and Guus are nice guys. You may even get to have a go on their ski deck (like a giant running treadmill but in ski slope form) that they use for teaching - a rather terrifying experience! Guus was trying to give me a lesson but I spent the entire time trying to get used to the weird sensation of the moving brush surface. I think if I had the chance to go back there often (like, if I lived only 45 minutes away :)), I'd soon be able to get a lot more out of it.
JohnMoore

Postby arnokamphuis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks John! I will definitely do this then. The main hesitation is not the travel time, but more the costs of the alignment. I never tried the rolling-dry-slope, just the basic dry slope (every week a couple of times :D ). Maybe I will ask them if I could try :wink:
arnokamphuis

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Cost of proper alignment is inconsequential relative to your skiing performance and other equipment parts, travel, lift tickets or lodging. Would you put worn out, used slick tires on your Ferrari, because they are too expensive to buy new? Priority number one, is you boots and alignment, even before skiing.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:21 pm

h.harb wrote:Cost of proper alignment is inconsequential relative to your skiing performance and other equipment parts, travel, lift tickets or lodging. Would you put worn out, used slick tires on your Ferrari, because they are too expensive to buy new? Priority number one, is you boots and alignment, even before skiing.

+ 1 million!
Max_501

Postby CO_Steve » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 pm

How important is it? Here's my story. About a year ago Harald suggested I go 1/2 degree stronger on my right foot. I skied with a shim taped to the boot for a while and never got around to having my boot canted. They are a few seasons old and I thought I'd wait until I replaced them. Well it's a pain to ski every day with the taped on shim. The tape has to be replaced all the time. Since I spend most non-powder days on one set of skis (Stockli SL) I decided to just shim the binding. I ended last season that way. Of course I had the shimmed ski marked.

Before this season started I took them in for a grind. First day out I see that the shop had cleaned the topsheet and my mark was gone. No big deal I'll be able to tell. Well first day was only a couple of hours and everything felt ok. Second day my skiing was starting to come back, skis still felt kind of ok. Third day I'm starting to get into it but I can't buy a turn to the right. Left turns felt pretty ok. After I quit for the day I remember the shim. Next day I swap left and right. Perfect. Everything works, both sides feel the same.

!/2 degree.

tan(.5) = .009

If your shin is 18" long you knee has moved .16"

It made a difference.
CO_Steve

Postby arnokamphuis » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 am

Okay, okay, you convinced me :wink: I am going to call them this week :D
arnokamphuis

Postby ToddW » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 am

If Jasper were only 45 minutes away from me, I'd arrange to take private lessons from him too, not just alignment. I've skied with Jasper at the Hintertux camp and am confident that lessons would be money well spent.
ToddW

Postby Robert0325 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:47 am

Umm I’m also thinking of getting Jasper to do my alignment. I live in the UK and he seems to be the closest to me.
For the record I have all of HH’s books and quite a few of his DVD’s. I’ve been teaching myself PMTS for the last 3 years and definitely feel it’s improved my skiing. Prior to that I had been skiing for the best part of 20 years, mainly with BASI led instruction!
I’m not aware that I have any alignment issues but then I’m know it’s difficult to diagnose yourself. In ignorance, about a year ago, I had Superfeet cork foot beds made for me by a very well regarded boot fitter at Solutions4feet in the UK. They certainly didn’t make my skiing any worse but I’m not sure they made it any better either. After reviewing the alignment section in ABCBAES1 I’m don't think that he did any alignment checks.
The question is, did I waste my money with the having the Superfeet foot beds fitted? Should I be getting proper PMTS alignment done with Jasper?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Robert0325

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:53 am

Robert0325 wrote:The question is, did I waste my money with the having the Superfeet foot beds fitted? Should I be getting proper PMTS alignment done with Jasper?

Yes and Yes.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Robert0325 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:08 pm

jbotti wrote:
Robert0325 wrote:The question is, did I waste my money with the having the Superfeet foot beds fitted? Should I be getting proper PMTS alignment done with Jasper?

Yes and Yes.

Pretty definite then! Oh well, you live and learn I suppose. Thanks for the advice jbotti. I better start planning a trip to Holland, before Christmas if possible. Don't want to waste anymore time skiing without proper alignment. My wife is going to be sooo mad with me.
Robert0325

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Unfortunately there is no getting away from the reality that most skiers need alignment work (some quite badly as I fall into that category) and very few are capable of producing the desired result other than PMTS trained alignment pros. Working on PMTS movements with uncorrected alignment issues is a massive handicap and many movements are unattainable when skiing this way. I will never say that working diligently on drills and proper movements is a waste of time but the ceiling of where someone can get to is very very low with and significant uncorrected alignment issues.

Not that you need more evidence but at every camp there are a good number of first time campers that can't even balance on one edge because their alignment is so off. From here, 80%+ of the PMTS movement playbook is not available to them until it is corrected.

The only question for you is how soon will you get there!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System