Your favorite exercise to practice Tipping. Short/long turns

PMTS Forum

Your favorite exercise to practice Tipping. Short/long turns

Postby Eiszapfen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:04 am

Hey guys,

I just finished the Harald's Essentials book, which presents the basics in a very clear manner, so I first want to thank Harald for releasing such a great book!
Now as you can imagine, I've seen a lot of exercises to practice the essentials in the last two weeks, and when I go skiing I first want to further improve my tipping (last season I only practiced the phantom move on the basis of Expert Skier 1).
So I was wondering which, in your opinion ,was the tipping exercise that boosted your personal development the most?
I also watched many of Harald's videos in the last days and compared them to my skiing. While doing so i tried to distinguish between short turns and the long carved turns with a clear "C". The main difference I recognized was that in short turns we always flex the legs (almost) equal and keep the skis more together, whereas in long turns the outside leg is much more extended than the inside leg which looks like a wider stance, but as Harald wrote it is vertical separation. Would you confirm that?
The first thing I recognized when I watched the videos of me was that I tend look to the "sides" of the piste when doing turns, whereas Harald always seems to look straight down the fallline. So I guess I should also focus on pointing the upper Body down the slope, so that the "line" from shoulder to shoulder forms an "X" together with the fallline and is not in line with it... I can imagine that this really does affect my CB and CA. Did I get that right?
Thanks for your help ;)

Kind regards
Eiszapfen

Re: Your favorite exercise to practice Tipping. Short/long t

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:10 pm

As has been said many times on this forum, the best and only place to start is page 1 of Book 1 ACBAES, then go to Book2 and then after you can do all the drills in these two books well, do the work in the essentials. If you truly want to develop a solid foundation in PMTS skiing avoid the temptation to jump around by starting with everyone's favorite exercises. The system as laid out by Harald works and all the best PMTS skiers have followed it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 pm

jbotti wrote:If you truly want to develop a solid foundation in PMTS skiing avoid the temptation to jump around by starting with everyone's favorite exercises. The system as laid out by Harald works and all the best PMTS skiers have followed it.

There are no shortcuts, just dedication to follow the progression as prescribed in the books/ videos. The FIRST step however, is to get your boots/ alignment fixed as this will accelerate your progress - I appreciate that this may not be immediately achievable, but it should be right up there on the top of your 'to do' list...if you can't balance in your boots, how can you possibly balance on your skis? There are temporary 'workarounds', but they are just that..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Good solid advice gang!
h.harb

Postby Eiszapfen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:
There are no shortcuts, just dedication to follow the progression as prescribed in the books/ videos. The FIRST step however, is to get your boots/ alignment fixed as this will accelerate your progress - I appreciate that this may not be immediately achievable, but it should be right up there on the top of your 'to do' list...if you can't balance in your boots, how can you possibly balance on your skis? There are temporary 'workarounds', but they are just that..

Thank you for the feedback. Until I start skiing this year I will have read all three books. Only Expert Skier 2 is missing.
I'm wondering if there is a way to find out if my alignment/boots are okay?

Regards
Eiszapfen

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 am

Go to my Slant board You Tube videos and practice; if you can't balance like in the videos, you may have boot issues. How are you going to know how to fix them?
h.harb

Postby Eiszapfen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:06 am

Hi,

thanks for the tip. I will do so.
About the fixing... Well I know I can change the canting of my boots. Of course this only would help with fixing a minor problem, but if those slantboard exercises look quite fine in the mirror ´I won't look for a boot fitter.
But I think if your legs are straight and your not bow legged or so, the alignment should mostly be alright, shouldn't it?
Eiszapfen

Postby skijim13 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:00 am

There is a great deal more to alignment and you should have it checked by an expert. Once you get on the snow try the drill on page 21 of Expert II to see if you are aligned. Without alignment you will only get so far with your skiing. Also be careful who you go to because in my experience I do not think many people really know how to align correctly. Here in the Northeast it is very hard to find anyone good. I have been to the Boot doctor in Telluride and spent 4 hours there getting a great deal of work done, then at the Pro Jam last year I was still off alignment and had Green Mt, fix my boots again. I am sure when I go to camp my boots are still off alignment and need work or get new ones and start all over.
Last edited by skijim13 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
skijim13

Postby Eiszapfen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 am

Hm,

I already thought so... Problem is that experts are expensive and as you know students are always kind of broke :D. At the moment I'm happy that I actually have some solid material, so I guess I will just practice a bit to level up until an alignment problem kicks in. This is only my second season with PMTS, but the first one before which I have read all books an have done some dryland practice. With more experience I will recognize an alignment problem, if there is one. But i also planned to upload some videos to get some great MA feedback and I guess the experts in here can spot alignment issues with ease on tape...
BTW: As I am in Europe, it would be interessting where to have done the bootfitting. I guess Hintertux would be good, as Harald is doing his camps over there?

Kind regards
Eiszapfen

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System