Bullet Proof Short Radius turn

PMTS Forum

Bullet Proof Short Radius turn

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:15 am

My question is what is the difference between a highly carved turn vs. a Bullet proof short radius turn? My understanding is in a brushed carve turn you have two thicker lines in the snow due to a lower edge angle, but the inside ski does not erase the line of the outside ski and the two lines are equal distance. While a skidded turn the inside ski can erase the line of the outside ski usually due to a twist in the skis or some other inefficient movement. In a highly carved turn you make two pencil marks in the snow. Is the BPSRT similar to a carved turn with slightly thicker lines somewhere in between the brushed and carved turn?
skijim13

Re: Bullet Proof Short Radius turn

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:26 am

Bullet Proof Short Radius turn is a brushed carved turn in all conditions.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:25 pm

skijim13 wrote:My question is what is the difference between a highly carved turn vs. a Bullet proof short radius turn? My understanding is in a brushed carve turn you have two thicker lines in the snow due to a lower edge angle, but the inside ski does not erase the line of the outside ski and the two lines are equal distance. While a skidded turn the inside ski can erase the line of the outside ski usually due to a twist in the skis or some other inefficient movement. In a highly carved turn you make two pencil marks in the snow. Is the BPSRT similar to a carved turn with slightly thicker lines somewhere in between the brushed and carved turn?

This is a topic that has been covered 'ad nauseum' on this forum. Here's just one thread on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1624
Max_501

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:48 am

I really like the way Diana describe the different amounts of brushing in the new brushed pay-video. I have not seen that type of description before in any of the other materials.
Matt

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 am

Matt, I agree I can't wait to try those drill out on the snow.
skijim13

Postby geoffda » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:25 pm

skijim13 wrote:Matt, I agree I can't wait to try those drill out on the snow.

While you are waiting for snow, you can practice modulating grip on the tipping board. When you practice releasing to new edges, you can hold back the uphill foot so that you roll it to 4th toe, 3rd toe, etc. If you dial in these sensations on dry land, you'll be ahead of the game when you get to snow. You can also practice on a flat surface if you don't have a tipping board. Drag a mirror in front of you if you can so you can visually verify the degree of tipping on the new stance foot.
geoffda

Postby skijim13 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 am

Great suggestion I have a tipping board and have been using it for the Argry mother and other drills. I try that a well for the BPSRT, I have been trying to do the drill on rollerblades but it is hard to validate the move without true edges. I just got a new 60 inch smart TV that I put the tipping board in front you almost feel like you are out on the snow. We have about 26 more days to wait till we can get onto the slopes. I hope to have 30 days training in before my wife and I get to the Superblue camp in January.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 am

geoffda wrote:
skijim13 wrote:While you are waiting for snow, you can practice modulating grip on the tipping board. When you practice releasing to new edges, you can hold back the uphill foot so that you roll it to 4th toe, 3rd toe, etc. If you dial in these sensations on dry land, you'll be ahead of the game when you get to snow. You can also practice on a flat surface if you don't have a tipping board. Drag a mirror in front of you if you can so you can visually verify the degree of tipping on the new stance foot.

Geoff, great post!

Where else can you get such high quality instruction?
Max_501

Postby DougD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Max_501 wrote:
geoffda wrote:
skijim13 wrote:While you are waiting for snow, you can practice modulating grip on the tipping board. When you practice releasing to new edges, you can hold back the uphill foot so that you roll it to 4th toe, 3rd toe, etc. If you dial in these sensations on dry land, you'll be ahead of the game when you get to snow. You can also practice on a flat surface if you don't have a tipping board. Drag a mirror in front of you if you can so you can visually verify the degree of tipping on the new stance foot.

Geoff, great post!

Where else can you get such high quality instruction?

Indeed. I've been practicing one-footed balance and weight shift movements for ~30 years while standing on flat surfaces. I do it while shaving, where a balance slip can be painful! lol.

But Geoffda's suggestions take it to a new level of subtlety. Thanks!
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System