Should vertical CoM movement be minimized in short turns?

PMTS Forum

Re: Should vertical CoM movement be minimized in short turns

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:49 pm

blackthorn wrote:And I am practising. :)

Awesome! Make no mistake though, your practice is wasted if you aren't checking with video. Do yourself a favor and take frequent video. Get it posted here for true PMTS MA.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:57 pm

h.harb wrote:I'm trying to ski better then the Harald I know all the time. And it takes me sometimes 2 seasons to create a new movement pattern.

I think for any serious skier/athlete this is true. We are constantly watching our skiing, feeling what is going on, and working to improve. Newcomers should take note of this, because it takes truly understanding where you're at, and where you want to go... The seasoned PMTS skiers and coaches here can help you get there.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:08 am

My response doesn't really tell the whole story. The part about constantly working to refine, improve and not slide back in my skiing is accurate. As Gregg stated, every serious practitioner of PMTS or any athlete does this. But sometimes it's not enough to just refine the "Essentials of Skiing", sometimes you see that there are a definite technique changes that need to happen. Mostly because skiing evolves and you see that there is a way to do things more efficiently.

Keeping what you have already achieved with your skiing requires a a certain dedication. Every season you should rehearse, practice and repeat movements that define your skiing technique. We get sloppy, if I didn't train this every year. I would find if I don't work on the basics every season, there are areas in my skiing I am no longer satisfied with.

Changing your technique however, especially if you have skied your whole life and achieved certain success with the way you ski, requires even more dedication. It requires an unrelenting constant focus and reminding.

My example is my way of pole planting. From an outsider, no one would have noticed my pole plant was anything but in tune with my turns. But it wasn't good enough for me, because I saw there was extra movement there that was unnecessary and didn't support the cleanest way to ski. I began to identify what was needed to refine and change my pole plant or my arm swing. Mainly stop any arm swing and reduce the amount of pole contact with the jabbing in the snow. This was needed; I sensed, to enhance CA, create a better connection in transition to the new turn and support a smooth transition without interruption of movements.

It took two years to change and by the third year, I felt I had it. Many people will say it's just not worth it. I say before I leave the planet I want to develop not only the most efficient ski technique ever developed, but I want to be able to ski with it.
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Which planet do you intend to visit next ? Maybe you could choose one without PSIA , CSIA or BASI ! I have heard the Klingons are pretty aggresive skiers . Bullshit there just gets eliminated immediately !
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby jbotti » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm

h.harb wrote:It took two years to change and by the third year, I felt I had it. Many people will say it's just not worth it. I say before I leave the planet I want to develop not only the most efficient ski technique ever developed, but I want to be able to ski with it.

I put up a post last spring where I talked about the fact that it had taken me two years to finally have an appropriate/necessary level of CA show up in my off piste skiing consistently. I ski 40 days a year so it took my 80-100 days (because I was working on it in the last part of a previous season). Harald skis 150 days per year so to produce the result he wanted took 300 ski days. Now his result is superior to mine in that his NSPP is totally locked in and there will still situations where my CA doesn't show up. Not trying to depress anyone, but real lasting changes take significant work. The good news is that early on in the process the progress can be much faster because when you aren't tipping at all and you start tipping you immediately look like and are a different skier.

Rather than get depressed about how long some movements take to ingrain, I get inspired by it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System