Stance Pole Use

PMTS Forum

Stance Pole Use

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:00 am

Watching the angry mother two video, Dianna says to pole touch at 45 degrees down from your stance boot to the fall line. In expert I page 141 the photo shows that the pole touch should be down the fall line behind the line in the triagle laid out by the ski poles or what appears to be the center under your arch which is straight down the fall line. A similar demo is given in the free skiing video. Can someone please let me know the correct placement of the stance pole.
skijim13

Re: Stance Pole Use

Postby rwd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 am

I don't know if you have a different video. In my Angry Mother video, Diana instructs you to plant the pole down the fall line from the tail of your stance ski. This is the No Swing pole plant which maintains your counteracted position through transition. If you swing your hand around to plant the pole below your boot you will have unwound some of your CA. Diana gave us the same instruction at last year's BG camp.
rwd

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am

I agree, but if you purchase the new one part II, she says to use 45 degrees, but I think that it really means to use the tail of the ski. In his expert I book he shows going down the boot with his pole. I think that they have improved on this over the years and now want you to maintain your couteracting by tapping towards the tail of the ski. Hard to see your tail on a slant board only in ski boots.
skijim13

Postby blackthorn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:29 am

When looking at this thread, I went back to the locked Glossary of Terms thread. PMTS is developing all the time, including concepts that aren't in the books.
I wonder whether it would be useful to update the GOT thread.
blackthorn

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 am

Her dance pole use is pretty good, she hasn't conquered the upside down twirling pole slide however.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 am

I was looking for that move in the video
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 am

Gentleman please, my previous post was an attempt to bring light (comedy) to this over analysis and inspection of where the pole plant goes. It can vary depending on the amount of turn completion. And where it goes exactly isn't the issue, the issue is are you complimenting your CA or are you undoing your CA by swinging the arm forward. Whether the pole goes down hill from your boot at 90 or 45 degrees, doesn't matter, it's the actions of the arm, in essence, external rotation and abduction you want to develop as a pole movement. This is the movement that develops a "No Swing", not trying the idea that you have to aim at a target or an angle. You can aim at a target all day long with the wrong arm movement therefore still creating rotation and undoing your CA.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 am

Focus on the Hulluvaskier arm and pole use comparison thread.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System