17 Seconds of Simpliity

PMTS Forum

17 Seconds of Simpliity

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:49 am

This isn't a high carving run. It just a simple PMTS parallel skiing carving run.
h.harb

Re: 17 Seconds of Simpliity

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 am

Beautiful....totally blown away...the amazing thing is that your style doesn't change from bumps to powder to groomers...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks, it's from working hard on my skiing for 50 years. For me, it's now about creating and informing the ski world about good skiing and how to find it, ski information, and teaching, giving people access to good learning techniques, that's where my motivation is. And if the skiing gets people looking, and wanting this way of skiing, great! It comes full circle.
h.harb

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 am

While we're on the subject of beauty and simplicity, your Oct 1 blog entry on Transitions was one of your finest and most illuminating.
NoCleverName

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks, I'm hoping to educate, there is so much bad information out there everywhere. I have taken all the "Check Points" off my Blog for now, while I refine them. They will be a great resource for movement analysis, as well as what to work on in skiing for coaches and skiers.
h.harb

Postby semnoz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:41 am

h.harb wrote: there is so much bad information out there everywhere.

The Internet is indeed a double-edged sword in that respect. The tool that allows PMTS to easily reach so many people also serves for the quick and widespread dissemination of bad information.
semnoz

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 am

We often take it for granted that because PMTS skiers and even those educated by this forum who haven't taken a PMTS course, have a more refined understanding of skiing movements than not only the skiing public, but than ski instructors. Ski instructors have such an inflated view of themselves, they have no idea how completely ignorant they are about skiing.

It's the old saying that goes, "Don't wake up, because when you do, you will see what kind of an idiot you were before."
h.harb

Postby lukezhang » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Indeed "Oct 1 blog entry on Transitions" made me understand PMTS movement into another layer. While I am watching this 17 second video again and again I feel your upper body is almost always facing fall line with skis flying around. You talked about CA and holding CA during transition. It makes me think CA is the passive result of correct PMTS movement rather than active moving upper body in relate to skis, correct?
lukezhang

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:26 pm

lukezhang wrote:Indeed "Oct 1 blog entry on Transitions" made me understand PMTS movement into another layer. While I am watching this 17 second video again and again I feel your upper body is almost always facing fall line with skis flying around. You talked about CA and holding CA during transition. It makes me think CA is the passive result of correct PMTS movement rather than active moving upper body in relate to skis, correct?

No. Looks are deceiving which is why so many don't get this. In order to create the illusion of a quiet upper body, significant movements are required. Both CA and CB involve large ranges of highly active movement in carved turns. Even holding CA at transition takes considerable effort. CA and CB movements are only effective when they come from the hips. If you ski passively and try to "ski into counter", you may get the look, but you won't get the benefits because the hips will be rotated into the turn. You won't be in a strong, stacked position and you won't get ski grip and performance.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:04 pm

geoffda wrote:No. Looks are deceiving which is why so many don't get this. In order to create the illusion of a quiet upper body, significant movements are required. Both CA and CB involve large ranges of highly active movement in carved turns.

+1

And it's even more effort with the BPST!
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Geoffda has it right, I am CA and Cbing with much more effort then it appears on the video. This is the beauty of skiing with the right movements, the right effort makes it look easy. (almost makes it look like I'm not doing anything) In PMTS we at least tell you what it takes, it's not less movement for CA and CB then I describe in my books and videos, it's actually more.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System