USSA development and coaching is frustrating and lacking.

PMTS Forum

USSA development and coaching is frustrating and lacking.

Postby h.harb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:47 am

Skijim13 wrote: Just watched training videos put out by the Burke Academy which is a top training school for skiers and even they would improve with some guidance from Harald's PMTS skills. The up movement is taught so much by the PSIA that even our racers have it built into their skiing.

I've been through all of the USSA technical information including Skills Quest, turn descriptions etc. It is really a weak effort. The Burke video stuff is better, but it has many aspects of skiing and learning missing for an instructional or coaching piece. There are no movements discussed, the word is used frequently, but no description or how to create movements is offered. There are numerous important Essentials missing in the videos. The skier is not Schiffrin. The skier is often out of balance and on the inside losing balance by the time the turn is finishing. If these are the standards, why should we be impressed? Give a PMTS coach a week with a racer like this and they'll do these turns better and easily. However, after watching so many racers from different programs, she looks like a reasonable free skier, nothing out of the ordinary.
h.harb

Re: USSA Skills Quest frustrating and lacking.

Postby h.harb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 am

Has anyone looked at USSA Skills Quest? It's terrible, there are three jumping exercises in a straight run, only two exercises that actually do anything to the skis. One is pivot slips, which is an abomination and the other is skiing on the outside ski. Very creative. This is the standard, the brain trust at USSA has come up with so far. Truly amazing ( it down right insulting) for a national organization to be this thread bare when is comes to skiing information. Any of the major program coaches I've talked to from around the country say they don't pay any attention to Skills Quest and the USSA ski educational programs. Their coaches certification program is a shambles. Some are wondering why there is so little talent in the US development pipeline, I"m not wondering, I know why.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System