"Getting your body down the slope"

PMTS Forum

Re: "Getting your body down the slope"

Postby cheesehead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:50 am

Max_501 wrote:
cheesehead wrote:Ah ha! So there are differences

If you ramp up your skiing in terms of speed, turn radius, or pitch you use more of everything as we've said about a million times. This is covered so thoroughly on this forum that I can't fathom how anyone could say this is a difference in technique.

Apparently we have a different concept of the word "technique." There is no argument from me about what you are saying. To me, "same movements but more" is what we both agree on. I can see your point that using the word "technique" might give people the wrong idea.

While I might appear dense, your posts helped clarify something for me, so it was a useful discussion.

Time to get back to skiing. Unfortunately for me that won't be until November.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Max_501 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:58 am

Matt wrote:It is related to speed. I can flex a lot going slow on a green. But why would I flex as much as when I go fast on black? Only way I can see that flex on green happening is by supporting your weight in transition in a squatted stance. When you have speed you will have "float" and no need to support yourself in transition.

Matt, please remember that this forum is for developing PMTS students.

Most developing skiers do not naturally increase the range of movement nearly enough when they increase their speed or get into more challenging terrrain. Instead they have to train that range of motion when going slower on easier runs. That is why we constantly tell skiers to EXAGGERATE the PMTS movements. Even then few get as much as they need when skiing more challenging terrain.

More, more, more!
Max_501

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
cheesehead wrote:But there have to be differences in how different steepnesses are skied. Yes the basic movements are the same but there are adjustments. It would have to be someone better qualified to say what those adjustments are. From a teaching standpoint it is probably most productive to perfect technique on greener slopes then ramp it up, like Max is saying, rather than have much effort going into the differences when you go steeper.

Mental issues aside for a moment... What I, Max, HH, and many others who ski at the level you're referencing are saying is that there are no technique adjustments. It really is as simple as "ramp up everything". There are no technical adjustments... just MORE tipping, MORE flexing, MORE CB, MORE CA, and MORE pullback. If you're making technical adjustments (or think they are required), your technical level is lacking. The way to fix it is to work with a coach to diagnose the issue, and then head back to easy terrain and drill it until you've fixed it. This is reiterated by the coaches and expert skiers on this forum as well as in every book, DVD, and YouTube production that HH has compiled.

cheesehead wrote:I think I will get in even more trouble if I try to bring in tts comparisons.
Lets make it simple. The mental aspect is a significant issue for some people some more than others or at different times.
Back to the mental issue. The best confidence booster for me is good technique. But it is difficult to stay focused on that when unexpected things cause panic

This comes down to mileage. The more exerience you have, the better you will be at applying your technique. Like HH says in the Performance Free Skiing DVD, every run we are practicing something, and conditions or situations are going to come along that test your resolve. The more you develop where you are comfortable, the stronger you will be when the skiing becomes challenging... in short, you won't panic. This takes a MASSIVE amount of seriously focused training and dedication.

That is very well said. I hadn't really thought about advanced technique as a mater of degree and not fundamental differences from advancing technique. Great Points.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby BigE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 am

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:It is related to speed. I can flex a lot going slow on a green. But why would I flex as much as when I go fast on black? Only way I can see that flex on green happening is by supporting your weight in transition in a squatted stance. When you have speed you will have "float" and no need to support yourself in transition.

Matt, please remember that this forum is for developing PMTS students.

Most developing skiers do not naturally increase the range of movement nearly enough when they increase their speed or get into more challenging terrrain. Instead they have to train that range of motion when going slower on easier runs. That is why we constantly tell skiers to EXAGGERATE the PMTS movements. Even then few get as much as they need when skiing more challenging terrain.

More, more, more!

This is exactly what I find is the case in my own skiing. The big question is: without exaggeration, how does one increase ROM? Ans: You cannot. So, I find myself doing more and more and more, in the hopes of having enough when the going gets tougher. IMO, I think the results are worth the effort. Things that once looked steep to me are not. They now challenge the ROM.

I have to admit that this is not possible without skiing "in balance" in the first place. That is with hips over your feet, balanced on the outside ski.
BigE

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System