No Substitute For In-Person PMTS Coaching

PMTS Forum

No Substitute For In-Person PMTS Coaching

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:20 am

Having just returned from my first time skiing with a high level PMTS coach I figured I would throw out some advice to all of our readers: Make it a priority to get live, in-person PMTS coaching.

I've worked over the past few years to rebuild my skiing with PMTS. I've been pretty successful using the forum, books, DVDs, and direct input from a number of PMTS coaches including Harald himself. I've developed a pretty good eye for PMTS MA of my own skiing, and I am strong in most any terrain. That said, skiing with a coach is a much easier, faster path to take. In just a few days, we were able to target some significantly deficient areas of my skiing that may not have been noticed without seeing it in person. These are areas that I am (and have been) aware are deficient, but the revelation was the degree to which they are deficient. I have been able to cover up those deficiencies with other movements that I am very, very good at. In this case the volumes of video I have, while a great tool, simply wasn't enough to determine with absolute certainty what my SMIM was.

The moral of the story is even if you're a very good skier already, doing the drills, and using video and input from coaches in the forum to supplement the entire learning process, there are probably movement deficienties in your skiing that can only be found and corrected through live PMTS coaching. So, for those who are on the fence, or struggling trying to learn on your own, hopefully this helps make your decision easier. It certainly has given me the path to take my skiing several levels higher than it is now.

Video will be posted, so we can wait until then to discuss what those deficiencies are and what I'm working on. Safe to say, it would have taken me a long time on my own to discover what we did in just a few hours on snow in person.

For now I leave you with this:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: No Substitute For In-Person PMTS Coaching

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 pm

So are you willing to share what the MA was on your live skiing? What's your take-away for the SMIM?
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 pm

That is an awesome photo. I looks like you are mid slalom course on POWDER...Have you just invented a new extreme sport? Powder Slalom...Sell it to Red Bull...I want what your drinking....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm

HighAngles wrote:So are you willing to share what the MA was on your live skiing? What's your take-away for the SMIM?

You missed this:

HeluvaSkier wrote:Video will be posted, so we can wait until then to discuss what those deficiencies are and what I'm working on.
Max_501

Postby Vskier » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Fantastic photo and thanks for the great advice. I will sign-up for my first camp as soon as they are listed!
Vskier

Postby arothafel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 pm

That's a great shot. Where was the photographer positioned...?

Shows a great amount of "equilibrium!" even though you're "spinning in the air!" :)
arothafel

Postby Basil j » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:29 am

That is an awesome pic Helluva! Did you go to a camp or did you seek out private instruction?
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:51 am

Basil j wrote:That is an awesome pic Helluva! Did you go to a camp or did you seek out private instruction?

He made the mistake of skiing with jbotti and I for a few days. :lol:
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:46 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:That is an awesome photo. I looks like you are mid slalom course on POWDER...Have you just invented a new extreme sport? Powder Slalom...Sell it to Red Bull...I want what your drinking....

Heluva takes a GS approach while I take a SL approach. Either way skiing off piste with angles is the goal.

Max_501

Postby deicreo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 pm

...rather than having them practice a lengthy progression.

To be where you Guys are ( Heluva and Max) must be a result of well planned progression. (In contrast to the above sentence)
It is incredible what progression has been offered via PMTS, seeing what you guys doing.

To pharaphase somebody: my jaw just ruined the floor. Unbelievable takes.
Can't stand wait to see the video.
deicreo

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Can either of you guys turn to the left?

Probably a big fat wedge :-) Those things should be banned!

Hurry up with the video for crying out load!!!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Can either of you guys turn to the left?

Probably a big fat wedge :-)

Dear Mr Monsterman, contrary to what you may have read on "other" forums, PMTS works in all conditions and in BOTH directions. To turn left simply flex and tip to the left. Like this:

Max_501

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:53 am

Damn, guys--nice shots!

(and beautiful snow--wow)
dan.boisvert

Postby Erik » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 am

Looking forward to the videos, but it appears that HeluvaSkier may need to update his avatar after this coaching!
Erik

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 am

Erik wrote:Looking forward to the videos, but it appears that HeluvaSkier may need to update his avatar after this coaching!

Hey, I like my avatar. 8)

The true results of this coaching may not show for a few more weeks. I think that this is something that makes the "full package" of PMTS such a powerful training tool. After skiing with Max_501, I now have a better sense of direction and where to focus my drill and training efforts. It is not enough to get coaching a few days a season and then forget it... I work constantly on my skiing. Every turn of every run. Because of all of the published PMTS information, anyone can continue their PMTS training between camps. It allows skiers to cover a lot of ground in their development in a relatively short period of time.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System