Two Words: Angry Mother!!

PMTS Forum

Re: Two Words: Angry Mother!!

Postby Icanski » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I'll check it out and see if I can try it before the snow is all gone here.
Icanski

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 am

Great drill I will be downloading it tonight, counteractering with the pelvis included has always been one of the harder essentials for me to master. I know in steep bumps I start to lose some of my counteractering movements.
skijim13

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 am

I will add my $.02 on getting the most out of this drill. The key and the place where i was falling short is getting your inside shoulder as far forward as possible. This moves the hips into the most countered position and this challenges everyone's flexibility. If you do this regularly and challenge your flexibility each time your range of motion will increase. More importantly you will start to develop internal cues (a feel) for counteracted hips. Once you have this and the ROM to produce it at a high level it starts to become easy to integrate it into your skiing. CA is the secret (actually it's no secret here) weapon for off piste skiing.

To make sure you are doing it right, have video shot!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 am

Again I'll caution all of you. You may start to feel CA with the A.Mom exercise but as soon as you start swinging your poles and dropping your hand on the inside of the turn or body., the benefits will disappear. Especially when you hit tough terrain and bumps. You have to develop the proper pole use pole tap, to go it with.
h.harb

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm

What about brushed short turns/BPSRT, don't you want a blocking pole plant then rather than the one shown in the video?
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 am

Matt wrote:What about brushed short turns/BPSRT, don't you want a blocking pole plant then rather than the one shown in the video?

Either way you need to support hip CA with proper movements up above.
Max_501

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:What about brushed short turns/BPSRT, don't you want a blocking pole plant then rather than the one shown in the video?

Either way you need to support hip CA with proper movements up above.

To be more specific, my question is when do you use a blocking pole plant and when do you use a pole plant like in the video?
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Matt wrote:To be more specific, my question is when do you use a blocking pole plant

Bumps, crud, steeps. But it's also individual. I know guys that ski bumps with a tap while I use a plant.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:19 am

BTW, just some advice for doing this drill. I have snapped a pole and bent another doing the angry mother while with poles. If you don't keep the poles parallel to the ground it is likely that you will dig one into the ground and when the force of your body hits it it will bend and or snap. Better to do these without poles but If you do them with poles, be careful.
jbotti

Postby geoffda » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 am

jbotti wrote:BTW, just some advice for doing this drill. I have snapped a pole and bent another doing the angry mother while with poles. If you don't keep the poles parallel to the ground it is likely that you will dig one into the ground and when the force of your body hits it it will bend and or snap. Better to do these without poles but If you do them with poles, be careful.

JB, maybe you need to switch to the "Just slightly annoyed mother" drill instead. :lol:
geoffda

Postby Ihamilton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 pm

In the intensive carving camp Diana had us doing AM but when we got our poles back, as HH warns, I went back to my habitual flick the pole tip forward. Rather than taking my poles away from me Diana ask me to make a pole touch but to make the touch behind my downhill ski and to look to where I would touch the pole behind my ski. I said " you mean behind my boot not behind my ski." No, I heard it right the first time. If you have not done so, try it and look and watch the pole tap behind the ski. Now that is CA. Diana is one tough smart lady. When I do my pole touch behind my stance ski, my hand is at my hip, where it should be. Later in the camp, HH said we should know where both pole tips are at all times. That spatial awareness has helped me.
In Jay's video I noticed his CA and CB are continuous until on the new edges. I was getting into a CA and CB position at the top of the turn and holding. Both CA and CB are movements not positions. I wasn't getting the hook Jay shows. I am now. So that is my cue for continuous CA and CB, do my skis hook up the hill?
I enjoyed reading all the instructions on this post. Thanks John.
Ihamilton

Postby BigE » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 am

Ihamilton,

Thanks for that direction that links the CA and the pole tap! Very illuminating!
BigE

Postby jbotti » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:40 am

Harald posted previously about how important the pole tap is when doing this drill and when skiing. As Irwin points out as well, it really is an essential part of practicing this drill. I now spend half my time doing AM without poles and then with poles I am doing the AM pole tap drill (I believe the video is coming). This is adding the NSPP to the AM CA work. From here you will see a massive uptick in the quality of your brushed SRT's as I have. If you can do all this well and properly, the only remaining task is taking it all off piste and having it all hold up.
jbotti

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System