How to enjoy slush?

PMTS Forum

Re: How to enjoy slush?

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 am

JohnMoore wrote:I guess I must have just been lucky with the slush last week. I don't service my own skis and just had a local shop do an edge sharpen and wax before I headed out to Switzerland, but only occasionally did I run into problems with my skis grabbing. This was skiing often in temperatures of 10C (50F) or more.

If the skis weren't bogging down you were skiing corn rather than slush. Slush has a high water content that can create intense suction.
Max_501

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:42 am

Max_501 wrote:If the skis weren't bogging down you were skiing corn rather than slush. Slush has a high water content that can create intense suction.

Not sure about the terminology, but it was definitely what I would call slush and what others I was skiing with called slush. We had a nice period of what I think of as corn snow before lunchtime and then an afternoon of much softer, sloppier snow. Still, I was puzzled about the lack of grabbiness (something I'm very familiar with), and it's possible that the snow did manage to retain a different structure despite the high temperatures.
JohnMoore

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:56 am

JohnMoore wrote:Not sure about the terminology, but it was definitely what I would call slush and what others I was skiing with called slush. We had a nice period of what I think of as corn snow before lunchtime and then an afternoon of much softer, sloppier snow. Still, I was puzzled about the lack of grabbiness (something I'm very familiar with), and it's possible that the snow did manage to retain a different structure despite the high temperatures.

Let me try this again:

If the skis weren't bogging down you were skiing corn or corn-like snow rather than what we typically define as slush. Slush has a high water content that can create intense suction resulting in inconsistent grabbiness on the skis.

Also worth noting that slush at different resorts will ski differently. The guys in CO have hero slush due to the very low humidity levels while the guys in PA and WV have super suction slush due to the high humidity levels and mud mixed into the snow.
Max_501

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Max_501 wrote:Also worth noting that slush at different resorts will ski differently. The guys in CO have hero slush due to the very low humidity levels while the guys in PA and WV have super suction slush due to the high humidity levels and mud mixed into the snow.

Super suction slush doesn't sound much fun. Whatever I was skiing, it was occurring as a result of a week of above zero temperatures, rising to 50-55F by the early afternoon. To be honest I was amazed how well the snow held up considering the onslaught of the sun each day.
JohnMoore

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Hero slush? Dang, I guess I need to move somewhere with bad snow to learn to ski. We have hero pow, hero groomers, hero slush.... No wonder almost no one on the mountain can ski.
CO_Steve

Postby ToddW » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Hero slush? Dang, I guess I need to move somewhere with bad snow to learn to ski. We have hero pow, hero groomers, hero slush.... No wonder almost no one on the mountain can ski.

For a fee, I can house sit for you next season in Heroville while you improve your skiing by fighting the mountains of the east coast or the pacific northwest. To sweeten the deal, I'll toss in for free some PSIA skier self-improvement vids and a roll of duct tape to keep your feet dry in the slush.
ToddW

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:46 pm

ToddW wrote:To sweeten the deal, I'll toss in for free some PSIA skier self-improvement vids and a roll of duct tape to keep your feet dry in the slush.

We have some Justin Bieber duct tape that has been floating around the race team. I bet I could get ahold of that to make this an unbeatable deal.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 pm

...and for those wondering if the above post is for-real... you bet your ass it is.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/117757811/j ... Mgodsx0ArA

Blame Canada.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm

CO_Steve wrote:No wonder almost no one on the mountain can ski.

Indeed. I can't count the number of times I've seen a Rockies based skier fall apart in "real man snow"! :lol:
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Max_501 wrote:Indeed. I can't count the number of times I've seen a Rockies based skier fall apart in "real man snow"! :lol:

Hey at least you get to ski in actual snow. When I was a kid, there was no snow. We learned to ski on two-by-fours in three-foot deep construction paste. And there was none of this "downhill". We had to ski uphill--both ways. You people talking about "real man snow" don't know how good you have it!
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Just "harden the fuck up", you guys are starting to sound like those woozy ski racers complaining about slalom courses. If you have the Chops and can use a few PMTS movements, you have no excuses, except maybe that: You are going make some Girl a great wife someday."
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Rule #5:
h.harb wrote:"harden the fuck up"

HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Rule #5:

Bump it to #1 if you decide to ski with me! :mrgreen:
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Max_501 wrote:

Lol... I know: "Stop being a pussy."

HeluvaSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 am

Max_501 wrote:

Where do I sign up?
go_large_or_go_home

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System