The Books are a Skiers Bible

PMTS Forum

The Books are a Skiers Bible

Postby Skizoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:47 am

Short story with a point at the end: I ski about 130+ days a year. Like many here, I get the most enjoyment from the sport by trying to ski my absolute best on every turn. My wife can't understand how I obsess over every turn, but it's what I like and what I enjoy.

That's not to say that every turn is perfect, Far from it. I've been working on PMTS for about 5 years now, but ski the majority of my days solo, and those that aren't solo, are with skiers who have no clue for the most part. So the only quality feedback I get most years is early season and late season when I ski with the summit guys, and they've given me positive feedback, so I know in many ways I'm doing things well but need work in other areas. I've never been to a camp, but have taken privates with Rich M.

But like any sport, slumps happen.. And this past week I've been in one helluva slump (not to be confused with 'Helluva Skier') Seemed liked everything I did was just wrong. I may not be a good enough PMTS skier to know when I'm doing every move correctly, especially when it's mostly self analysis, but I'm good enough to know when I'm doing things really poorly.

Point of the story - I've read all of Haralds books from front to back many times, read specific sections many more times than that, but after a week of cursing my skiing, I spent about 2 hours last night re reading what I felt to be the most relevant chapters related to what I felt were the problems, and today.... Boom, SO MUCH better.

Bottom line, I don't care how many times you've read the books, the answers are ALWAYS in the books.
Skizoo

Re: The Books are a Skiers Bible

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:43 am

If you get some video - difficult solo, but not impossible, you will be able to get instant feedback/ answers to what you are doing. I use my ski pole with a GorillaPod - http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-gorillapod-stand.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby ToddW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Skizoo,

I know weekend skiing isn't your thing, but I'm always willing to make a few turns with you at K-mart just north of your Ludlow stomping grounds and can bring a video camera with advance notice. (As a victim of age discrimination, I am confined to work during the week and am only paroled to ski on the weekends.)

Todd
ToddW

Postby Skizoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm

ToddW wrote:Skizoo,

I know weekend skiing isn't your thing, but I'm always willing to make a few turns with you at K-mart just north of your Ludlow stomping grounds and can bring a video camera with advance notice. (As a victim of age discrimination, I am confined to work during the week and am only paroled to ski on the weekends.)

Todd

Hey Todd, I'm only here 2 more weekends before my spring trek to Summit Co for several weeks, This weekend is out but next Saturday might be doable..
I have a K mid week only pass, but I think I might have a freebie or 2 left on it, but I can fork out for a 1 day if not.. You going to be up next Saturday?

P.S. I do ski on weekends but usually for just 90 mins or so early (crowd avoidance) :)
Skizoo

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Skizoo wrote:I'm only here 2 more weekends before my spring trek to Summit Co for several weeks

Let us know when you'll be out and we can work on getting some video.
HighAngles

Postby Skizoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 pm

HighAngles wrote:
Skizoo wrote:I'm only here 2 more weekends before my spring trek to Summit Co for several weeks

Let us know when you'll be out and we can work on getting some video.

I'll be in SC from March 30-April 21, based in keystone
Skizoo

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Keystone is staying open pretty late this year so it'll be late April before we move to the Basin.
CO_Steve

Postby Skizoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Keystone is staying open pretty late this year so it'll be late April before we move to the Basin.

I'm sure I'll find you guys there.. I'm looking fwd to getting 3 weeks at KS.
Skizoo

Postby HighAngles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:13 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Keystone is staying open pretty late this year so it'll be late April before we move to the Basin.

Looks like Keystone is staying open through 4/20, correct?
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 pm

HighAngles wrote:

Looks like Keystone is staying open through 4/20, correct?

Correct.
History shows anything past the first week in April is a real slushfest.
CO_Steve

Postby ToddW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Skizoo wrote:
ToddW wrote:Skizoo,

Todd

Hey Todd, I'm only here 2 more weekends before my spring trek to Summit Co for several weeks, This weekend is out but next Saturday might be doable..
I have a K mid week only pass, but I think I might have a freebie or 2 left on it, but I can fork out for a 1 day if not.. You going to be up next Saturday?

P.S. I do ski on weekends but usually for just 90 mins or so early (crowd avoidance) :)

Weather and work permitting, I'll be there.
ToddW

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System