How to get even more tipping?

PMTS Forum

How to get even more tipping?

Postby Eiszapfen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 am

Hey guys,
at the moment I'm reading anyone can an expert skier 1. Already tried the phantom, and it really worked quite well. But I still have some problems when it comes to icy slopes, cause I can still fell my stance ski sliding away although I really try to lift the the tail of the free foot and press it against the stance boot. I also try to stay flexed all the time. But I still have the feeling that I can't create enough edge angle. Do you know any further exercises to learn to tip the free foot even more ?

Greetings from Wolkenstein, Italy ;)
Eiszapfen

Re: How to get even more tipping?

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 am

Sorry, it could be many things and alignment might be the biggest, without video there are hundreds reasons. Guessing is not the best way to get to the source of your issues, please send video. If you really want to get some ideas, do a search for "skiing ice" or "holding on ice", there are many posts on this forum about this.
h.harb

Postby suxsusy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Good evening,
Can we understand by ourselves if there is an alignement problem ?
Bye
susy
suxsusy

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

suxsusy wrote:Can we understand by ourselves if there is an alignement problem ?

viewtopic.php?t=2006&p=19226
Max_501

Postby suxsusy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I had a doubt because if i ski on a easy terrain straight down the slope on one ski, with my right i go straight, but with my left i go left.
I don't know why it happens.
suxsusy

Postby BigE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:09 pm

In the absence of any information: more counterbalance will give you more tipping.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Not if the alignment is off, trying to CA too much, might stress certain parts of your lower back. Fighting bad alignment with movements works for a little while, but it gets old pretty fast.
h.harb

Postby Eiszapfen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 am

I'm sorry, can somebody please explain "alignment"? I think I have a problem with translating and understanding it properly...
Eiszapfen

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_alignment

Look at the end of Book 1. This explains where the knee should track over the feet as the joint flexes when "alignment" is optimised. Poor alignment in some ski boots can be corrected with well engineered and fitted footbeds and other adjustments inside the boot, (beware charlatans) and also with canting of the ski boot with respect to the ski, (wedges under the bindings, or even better plates attached to the boots as in HSS patented system).
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby BigE » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 am

I do not understand how increasing counterbalance can do anything other than increase edge angles, even for an unaligned skier.

Alignment is the process of ensuring that the knee/ankle/hip are aligned in a straight line. Part of this involves footbed work, the other part is boot work.

Angling the bottom of the boot sole is called canting. It is used to move the knee over the foot. Bow legged skiers have their knees moved together by tilting the boots inward. This is often done by boot planing, not by adjusting the cuff. (Adjusting the cuff is used to match the angle of the lower leg. It is incorrectly called canting)

For a bowlegged skier, the boot sole may also be planed to remove material from the big toe side. This is called "fat side out". A plain shim is added under the boot, and the top of the boot sole is made parallel with a router to bring it back to DIN spec. For a knock-kneed skier, the boot is modified so that you get "fat side in".
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 am

BigE wrote:I do not understand how increasing counterbalance can do anything other than increase edge angles, even for an unaligned skier.

Tipping, rather than CB, increases edge angles. CB counters the tipping allowing the skier to increase edge angles while staying in balance. As HH stated in his first post, we don't have enough information to make any recommendations.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Thank you max.
BigE

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System