How to begin 1st day?

PMTS Forum

How to begin 1st day?

Postby suxsusy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

Hy,
I should go to ski on monday (if meteo allows it) and i would like you to explain me how to begin in my first day of skiing PMTS.
Actually, in the last couple of times i've tried to do some drills of tipping and a phantom move but i didn't dedicate a lot of time.
I just finished to read " Anyone can be an expert skier 1 " and i want to begin at last.
I think i will dedicate 2 hours to the drills and then to ski using the feedback of them.
How can i organize the 2 hours of training : which drills and in which order i have to do?
And then how many runs for any drill?

At the moment, i'm an intermediate TTS skier (blu 3 in HHS online lessons) and i want to change in PMTS
I hope not to ask you too much :D
Cheers
Susy
suxsusy

Re: How to begin 1st day?

Postby milesb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm

You already have the answer- start with the training at the beginning of your book! There is nothing that is "too basic" (no pedantics please) for any level of PMTS skier.
For example, I've been doing the stepping exercises every day I ski for 13 years!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Go to You Tube and start with "How to Ski " lesson 1. The Phantom Move from a straight run. You have to balance on one foot without turning that foot. Tip the lifting foot and wait for the reaction.
h.harb

Postby suxsusy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:09 am

Thank you Mr Harb for the instructions and milesb for the advice, now i know wath to do!
Bye bye
Susy
suxsusy

My experience

Postby suxsusy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:05 am

I arrived on the runs and i found out the baby terrain.
I began to ski with one food as warm up, then i started with Pantom Move straight to the fall line on this flat terrain.
The first times i couldn't do it. I left balance and i didn' succeed in tipping but only in lifting the ski.
I was a little disappointed but i continued to do it again and again. The stance ski turned but i didn't find the edges. At the end, little by little, the Phantom worked always better.
Later i went to ski on steeper, icy and bumped runs including the Pantom when i could.
Well! I'm very very happy and i appreciated this kind of skiing.
Actually, i surely haven't enough tipping but i will continue to do this way.
Nevermore pushing BTE to turn!!!
Susy
suxsusy

Re: My experience

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 am

suxsusy wrote:I arrived on the runs and i found out the baby terrain.
I began to ski with one food as warm up, then i started with Pantom Move straight to the fall line on this flat terrain.
The first times i couldn't do it. I left balance and i didn' succeed in tipping but only in lifting the ski.
I was a little disappointed but i continued to do it again and again. The stance ski turned but i didn't find the edges. At the end, little by little, the Phantom worked always better.
Later i went to ski on steeper, icy and bumped runs including the Pantom when i could.
Susy

I'll say this before someone else does...You'd do well to really practice this phantom move, over and over, on nice easy slopes, until it comes naturally to you, before venturing into steeper terrain with it. The way PMTS works is absolutely a progression, not a 'bag of tricks' or a 'tool box'- you cannot properly do step 2 until you've got step 1 properly under your belt, and so on. Particularly if you're trying to 'unlearn' some faulty technique, you're likely to revert to bad habits if you try to use the phantom move in more difficult terrain before you've nailed it on the easy runs.
JohnMoore

Postby suxsusy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 am

JohnMoore wrote:
suxsusy wrote:I arrived on the runs and i found out the baby terrain.
Susy

I'll say this before someone else does...You'd do well to really practice this phantom move, over and over, on nice easy slopes, until it comes naturally to you, before venturing into steeper terrain with it. The way PMTS works is absolutely a progression, not a 'bag of tricks' or a 'tool box'- you cannot properly do step 2 until you've got step 1 properly under your belt, and so on. Particularly if you're trying to 'unlearn' some faulty technique, you're likely to revert to bad habits if you try to use the phantom move in more difficult terrain before you've nailed it on the easy runs.

You are right John, and i will go ahead only on phantom move until i will have learned it very well and until it will be a natural movement for me.
But after the school there is the recreation!!!!If i am luky i go to ski one day a week and i don't want to spend all my time on flat terrain, so i make my drills diligently and then i go to ski on steeper runs trying to use feedback.
Next time i get back and begin on baby runs before going to steeper . I hope this way could work :)
Thank you for the advice, it is always interesting.
Bye
Susy
suxsusy

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 am

suxsusy wrote:You are right John, and i will go ahead only on phantom move until i will have learned it very well and until it will be a natural movement for me.
But after the school there is the recreation!!!!

I know exactly what you mean - you have to have some fun in there as well. I think a lot of people set aside some time at the start of the day for doing the drills, and concentrate entirely on those, and then move on to free skiing (and having fun) for the rest of the day. Just don't do the drills on terrain it's too difficult to do them properly on!
JohnMoore

Postby RRT » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

suxsusy wrote:I think in PMTS there's no space for something else. It should work perfectly so as it is
One has to chose : PMTS or not-PMTS

Bye
Susy

suxsusy wrote:But after the school there is the recreation!!!!If i am luky i go to ski one day a week and i don't want to spend all my time on flat terrain, so i make my drills diligently and then i go to ski on steeper runs trying to use feedback.

So, is it going to be PMTS or not? In a day of skiing, which feedback, old habits or attempted new ones, win out? And how does combining both affect the rate of progress?
RRT

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:02 pm

I vote, enjoy the recreation. But do try to lift/lighten and tip on every turn.

Maybe try garland releases on the steeper terrain a couple of times a run as a compromise.

If you are on holiday, enjoy the mountain.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby suxsusy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:40 pm

RRT wrote:
suxsusy wrote:I think in PMTS there's no space for something else. It should work perfectly so as it is
One has to chose : PMTS or not-PMTS

Bye
Susy

suxsusy wrote:But after the school there is the recreation!!!!If i am luky i go to ski one day a week and i don't want to spend all my time on flat terrain, so i make my drills diligently and then i go to ski on steeper runs trying to use feedback.

So, is it going to be PMTS or not? In a day of skiing, which feedback, old habits or attempted new ones, win out? And how does combining both affect the rate of progress?

Lift and tip is the way.
cheers
Susy
suxsusy

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I skied green for the bulk of the season, trying to get better. I think I have. I did ski a couple runs on blue earlier in the season. It was horrible. Now, I can enjoy those same runs.

Skiing better is the gateway to enjoyment.
BigE

Postby Icanski » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:53 pm

I spent last Friday skiing with a new PMTS student. A friend gave him one of the books and he started reading and practicing. We spent 6 hours working and skiing together, looking at drills from each of the essentials, to give an idea of the exercises he'd been reading about, and focusing on some specifics on what he needed to work first.
It was a very enjoyable day.
I have to say that time and time again, the people who come to me and want to learn PMTS are a really dedicated group. They've read about it, researched the forum, watched the youtube videos, and are highly motivated. It's a privilege to teach students like that.
I don't think you find that in traditional lessons, or I should say, the expectations they come in with aren't as high because they've often been let down by other lessons. These students make me strive to do my best to help them change the things they want to in their skiing and get them moving forward.
I imagine other PMTS instructors find this, too. These students are motivated to travel great distances, or really find ways to get this training; that's great; it's positive and it's exciting.
John
Icanski

Postby suxsusy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Very nice John,
i would really like to take some PMTS lesson but in Italy there are no instructors.
When i'm on the chairlift and i see the tts instructors teaching, i cant understand how in 2014 it is possible.
These are the same things i was taught 40 years ago!!!
It's awful.
Bye
Susy
suxsusy

Postby ToddW » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

suxsusy wrote:Very nice John,
i would really like to take some PMTS lesson but in Italy there are no instructors.
When i'm on the chairlift and i see the tts instructors teaching, i cant understand how in 2014 it is possible.
These are the same things i was taught 40 years ago!!!
It's awful.
Bye
Susy

Try to sign up for one of next year's Hintertux camps. The schedule and registration info is usually posted some time in April for the following season. There are usually two or three Italians in each Hintertux camp.
ToddW

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System