Green/Blue Camp-Green Camper Trip Report

PMTS Forum

Green/Blue Camp-Green Camper Trip Report

Postby dtrick924 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:11 pm

RRT gave a nice blue/green camp report here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4334.

In the past geoffda has done a great trip report of the Super Blue camp. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2653&p=26961&hilit=blue#p26961.

I thought I’d try doing my own detailed trip report. I was a green level camper and it was my first camp.

Day 1
We started with a ski off to determine groups. I stated out with Diana on the gentle beginner slope of the double chair. As we took our runs she asked us to imagine lightening and flexing our free foot like an accordion and then lifting and tilting it to the little toe edge.

When we divided up into groups, I was in Harald’s group with five other women. Each of us still had a wedge in our turns. We practiced traversing the slope with our weight on our uphill little toe edge while lifting the downhill ski to show that we had shifted our weight completely. From there we moved to linking turns and focusing on pulling in the free foot and keeping it pulled in throughout the turn.

Harald put temporary shims under my boots right away, tipping me outward by 1.5° on each foot. That ended up being my final alignment.

When it came time to review the first day’s video, I needed to focus on a patient, rhythmic transition, pulling in the free foot and keeping it pulled in and keeping my hands wider with the pole tips on the ground in front of my boots.

Day 2
Today’s drills included more one-footed traverses, creating an o-frame (riding the pig) and knee touch. After reviewing video, I needed to focus on flexing more to release, pulling the free foot in closer during the turn and keeping it pulled in and being smooth and patient with my transitions.

Day 3
Everyone’s skiing had really improved from the first day so we start to add counter acting and counter balancing to our drills. Harald warned us that things would start to feel awkward as we learned new movements and that some of our lower body movements might suffer as we focused on our upper body. I definitely had a hard time as we practiced, my feet were wider apart, my slight wedge was back and I was ending up in the back seat.

During video review I needed to hold my counter longer. I was letting go too soon and rotating. I also needed to increase flexing to release, increase the speed of my edge changes and once again be smooth and patient in transition.

Day 4
Bob was our new coach today. We worked mostly on counterbalancing. Our drill was to flex to the uphill little toe edge, touch our outside knee and counter balance and then tip to turn. I really struggled with this all day. I always seemed to be touching the wrong knee and leaning the wrong way. We also worked on our fore/aft balance, pulling our feet back and letting our shoulders drift forward. During video review I needed to flex more, pull my feet back and counter balance rather than leaning into the turn.

Day 5
Final Day! We practiced J-turns, side slipping and two footed releases. After video review I needed to focus on flexing and tipping more and sooner, keeping my arms wider and more relaxed and keeping my feet pulled back and my free foot pulled in.

I had an amazing time at camp. I learned so much and the week just flew by. I can’t wait to come back next year.
dtrick924

Re: Green/Blue Camp-Green Camper Trip Report

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for another great report on our camps, please sign up early as the camps fill up fast. Look forward to seeing you again.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System