Speed control

PMTS Forum

Re: Speed control

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 am

I heard Rhino horn juice really makes them turn quicker.

no offense to you; or the Greeks Harald,

but you can milk him yourself!!!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 am

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:I do that also, but sometimes I want to try to carve a steep hill edge locked, but if the speed increases too much I want a graceful way of reducing the speed without skidding and starting over with brushing.

Doable but risky. Basically you've exceeded your speed limit by that point and trying to take that momentum into a good BPST, which will be a tighter radius than the warp speed carves, it is going to bounce you hard. Best to stop and start over.

My favorite approach to carving a good pitch is to start with smooth brush and work that into a full edge locked carve.

Thanks Max, when you say risky do you mean there is a chance that the edges hook up when you try to brush at speed and then something bad may happen?
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

Matt wrote:Thanks Max, when you say risky do you mean there is a chance that the edges hook up when you try to brush at speed and then something bad may happen?

Even if the skis don't accidentally edge lock the release will be brutal at that speed in a tight arc.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:54 am

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:Thanks Max, when you say risky do you mean there is a chance that the edges hook up when you try to brush at speed and then something bad may happen?

Even if the skis don't accidentally edge lock the release will be brutal at that speed in a tight arc.

And sometimes even the engagement would be too brutal to contemplate. You know you need to really lay them over if you want to reel in the speed, but somewhere in the back of your mind, you are afraid that if you try this, when the ski hooks up, your legs will collapse under the pressure and be ripped from your body!

I think maybe what is meant by "brushing" here is really not brushing in the PMTS sense. A brushed carve actually engages the ski and the turn is accomplished through ski performance (albeit with lateral displacement). A correctly done brushed carve results in energy at release--and the energy you get from a BPSRT is almost indistinguishable from an edge-locked arc. These aren't your father's TTS golf-cart turns! Going from edge-locked to brushed (or vice-versa--even better!) works great when your speed is within a range that you can control the forces you generate. But once you are over the limit, either engagement or release is going to bite you (and you know this!) so tightening the arc to get your speed back under control is no longer an option.

I think what Matt is talking about here is just some sort of edge-feather leading to a skid. That definitely works to dump speed, but it isn't pretty. Basically, you have to ride the skid until your speed is such that you can start engaging and releasing the skis again. While it can be done in a "roundish" fashion, it isn't at all a brushed carve. There is no ski performance happening--you are trying to AVOID engaging or releasing when you do this after all. As an option of last resort for those rare cases when you must dump speed but you can't stop, the skid is a fine choice, but you wouldn't want to make a habit of using it to control speed. Personally, I believe the best option is to stop and reset.
geoffda

Postby BigE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 am

Hi geoffda,

Can you speak a little more about the brushed carve?

I always thought that a brush carve was done via the same movements as an edge-locked carve, just not done as aggressively so there is no edge lock.
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:54 am

BigE wrote:Can you speak a little more about the brushed carve?

See this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1624

and this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=970
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 am

BigE wrote:Hi geoffda,

Can you speak a little more about the brushed carve?

I always thought that a brush carve was done via the same movements as an edge-locked carve, just not done as aggressively so there is no edge lock.

You can do extremely aggressive brushed carves with a heavily edged finish. It is more about timing and modulating ankle tension at the right time then it is about dialing back the aggression. The movements are the same. At least for me, the light went on when I figured out how to get an edge-locked ski to slice. Once I could do that, I found I could take the same concept into a brushed carve to create really aggressive, high-energy turns. I can't really explain it much better than that other than to say that it will materialize out of sufficient practice.

Meanwhile start with the posts Max_501 put up.
geoffda

Postby suxsusy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi!
can somebody put a link to the explnation of the "brushed turn"?
I saw some you tube video but i can't see the real particularity of that kind of turn.
Excuse me but i'm a beginner :D
Bye
Susy
suxsusy

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

see Max501's links a few posts earlier in this thread.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby suxsusy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 am

MonsterMan wrote:

see Max501's links a few posts earlier in this thread.

Thank you, now i've got it!
Go study :wink:
suxsusy

Postby BigE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:12 am

Thank your for the links.
BigE

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System