Stance Leg Pressure During Turns

PMTS Forum

Stance Leg Pressure During Turns

Postby skijim13 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 am

My understanding is that the LTE tipping causes the outside leg to extend naturally during the turn. In the Expert I book page 90 it says to keep the stance leg long by pushing against the snow. I have two questions, at one point in the fall line should the outside become long in a medium radius turn (I believe it is the point you skis start to go down the fall line)? The other question is to how can you tell if you are pushing too much with your outside leg against the snow or just keeping it stacked and resisting the forces by keeping it extended?
skijim13

Re: Stance Leg Pressure During Turns

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:29 am

I thought pushing was a no-no. :s
hyper_squirrel7

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 am

Don't push. Instead allow the outside leg to lengthen to maintain contact with the snow as the hips move to the inside.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic ... 65&start=0
Max_501

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 am

Don't push. Instead allow the outside leg to lengthen
Critical difference. As the inside (free) foot is tipped and the inside leg shortened, the body will go to the inside of the turn. Allowing the outside (stance) leg to lengthen is natural. Tipping and flexing (shortening) the free leg is caused to happen. The outside leg lengthening is allowed to happen. Any effort to lengthen to maintain contact with the snow is minor--never a push.

Watch Harald's youtube videos. Find one with a good visual perspective and start-stop-start-stop through the beginning of the turn. He ends the old turn with the release by relaxing and flexing his old stance leg. As soon as he tips the new free foot his body moves to the inside of the turn, and his stance leg lengthens. It isn't at a point, it is part of the process.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 am

Given all the threads about avoiding push I also reacted over the use of the word push when I re-read ACBAES 1. However, my interpretation was that in that context push just meant to maintain an already extended leg, not to extend. I think Harald probably stopped using the word push because people mis-interpreted the word.
Matt

Postby deicreo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 am

There is no point to worry about the the word "push" that have appeared in ACBAES 1 book on page 90.
Please notice that on that page HH is describing in a detail way a midsection of the turn that started with TFR.
We all know that at apex of the turn our stance leg should reach the maximum range of length. As your balance is on that outside
leg and you are gaining speed simultaneously tipping the skis to bigger angles you will feel as "the ground pushing against you"

What is being described on that page is not the transition phase of the turn, where any kind of pushing would extend your legs,
what is obviously highly undesirable.
deicreo

Postby skijim13 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 am

Thanks for all the great comments, I wanted to be sure that I did not need to push on the outside leg and just keep it long during the turn until I want to flex at the end to release. I have been using PMTS for over a year now and skiing now seems so much more easy and relaxing. I can't wait to get to a camp to work with fellow PMTS skiers. The greatest thing about PMTS is the great speed control it gives you, the only drawback is that the people above you come close to hitting me since they have very little control on the black and double black.
skijim13

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System