Yeeaaahh!

PMTS Forum

Yeeaaahh!

Postby Tommi » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:27 am

We've had approx 6-8 in snow last night and it keeps coming..finally! The conditions are getting better all the time. Forecast says it could still snow heavily until tomorrow and light snow at least until tuesday..
:D

Even the webcams at our local tiny hill were almost covered at the time I write this
http://www.talmaski.fi/slopes.html

In the north there is approx the normal amount of snow (3-4 feet), unfortunately still 4 weeks to the holiday..

How about Stockholm area, T1?

Have fun,

Tommi (T2)

PS I have finally got my alignment about right. And last time we skied with my daugter I noted that she is somehow struggling..she seems to be slightly knock-kneed .. problems in releases. The adjustment work goes on.. :roll:

PS2 Yesterday evening was quite awesome, watching Zagreb SL.. our Tanja showed such confidence that she may get unbelievable WC result this season.
Tommi

Postby tommy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:42 am

Tommi,

great to hear that you finally got snow in Helsinki! In Stockholm, there's still not enough to ski, and temp is still > 0.... :-(

I thought for a while that your local hill was Vihti (sp?); I spent a day there last season while visiting Finland.

Looks like this season I'm getting fewer ski days than in a long time :-(

I'm glad to see that Tanja is performing well (now that Anja isn't.... ! ;-)

--T
tommy

Postby Tommi » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:45 am

T1,

Yes there are many tiny hills near. Vihti would be the best for racing practise, because they have one of the best clubs there. And the slope is run by Uotila family (yes, Sami U the GS racer is from there too) so racing is understood well there. But still it's 70km from our house, I've been there only once this season.

Another excellent option would be Grankulla, which is the oldest slope in finland (from 1934 or something..). This tiny hill located in a city just beside Helsinki on the western side is run by the best alpine club in Finland (GrIFK, yes, originally swedish speaking club) ..they have excellent coaching and many junior training groups. The hill is like your local hill, it's almost completely 'artificial', raised with some waste land.

Talma is great for two reasons: it's very close, just less than 15 min driving and my son likes to freestyle with a snowboard, and Talma is one of the best sites for that in Finland..we have season tickets. By the way the better (10-15 turns with slaloms ;-) ??) slopes are behind the area in the webcam.

Another thing makes Talma great. I have my local HH skiing often there. He is originally from Hungary, and I have understood that he has been in the hungarian national team in his youth. His skiing is just superb (age approx 60). It's just unbelivable how perfect balance he has..it's real fun to watch him ski, always. Slalom, moguls, anything.. And in addition, he is a real gentleman, and always smiling. His technique is 100% PMTS.

Sorry to hear about the weather in your area. Let's hope you'll get better wx too. At least in our area the temps should be getting lower during the next days. Is it bad even in central sweden?

About WC, it's really a game where tiny things can make a huge difference. Anja is now struggling, but it can change any time. Kalle Palander has also hard time, he skiis very well, but some lack of confidence or something causes him to make mistakes. Yesterday they interviewed the head coach of finnish team C Leitner and he said the only problem is just the confidence.

It's still snowing like h... :D :D

Have fun,

Tommi (T2)
Tommi

Slalom CUP WON!

Postby Tommi » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:31 am

Seems to be a rather good season for the finnish team :D :D
One chrystal ball won and counting. Yahoo!

And the highest slope in this country has 463m (1600ft) height diff. LOL

T1, now Anja has it, too! It changes so quickly..
Tommi

Postby tommy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:13 pm

Apparently Anja has been struggling with the new skis - today she changed back to last years pair, with less sidecut, and things improved.

Congrat's to Finland's first female WC slalom victory!

--T
tommy

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System