2nd in the "Tipping with the lower body", series.

PMTS Forum

2nd in the "Tipping with the lower body", series.

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 am

h.harb

Re: 2nd in the "Tipping with the lower body", series.

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:55 am

Real good "compare and contrast" segments ... those before-and-after's really bring out what's important and why. You've always built a lot of rationale into your writing and I think it works even better in the videos. Keep that coming! But I think you're going to maybe hire a PSIA demo guy to do the "befores" because you really struggle demonstrating excessive extension! :D

I like that jacket: what is it?

And by the way ... that was a pretty egregious pan-back at the end of superb Austrian conditions and scenery. Totally unnecessary for us easterners to suffer through. :lol:

P.S. I'd be happy to demonstrate the bad skiing sequences ... all I need is expenses.
NoCleverName

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:14 am

All you have to do is go on line and check out some of the PSIA instruction videos. Or other ones, lots of extension and they can really show how it's done I'm an ammeter at it.
The jacket is Mountain Force, but not imported any longer. It's Swiss outfit, very expensive.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:17 am

I had a comment from Simon on You Tube, but lost it in the great web Universe, anyway, Simon was concerned that it took knee and leg power or strength to tip the skis and feet, like I do in the video. Remember you are not pushing your knees, no where in this video does it say. "push or drive your knees", it doesn't take strength to create lower body angles, in fact it's the opposite. Tipping is done with the ankles and feet while you are flexing, (bending your legs) so you are not pushing against residence. The weight comes off your skis as you flex. Tipping is about relaxing like in a great golf swing or a tennis stroke. They are not about power, force, or the size of your muscles, it's about timing. PMTS teaches this type of skiing.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:25 am

Simon in my experience (after coaching thousands of skiers) most skiers don't use nearly all the flexibility they have and mostly aren't aware of the stiffening and extension they use that restricts relaxing. You don't need much flexing, an inch or two makes a huge difference compared to extending by 4 or 5 inches. Just reversing the old habits can change your skiing completely. If you visit my web site or see my Essentials DVDs you'll have many exercises for on snow practice with flexing.

Most skiers are taught incorrectly to use force and fight against resistance. PMTS is much more evolved than this, it teaches skiers how to relax and use less muscle energy. It's perfect for us aging boomers. People look at me skiing and they think it's about my strength. My knees don't have ACLs, I weight 140 pounds, ski in a 150 flex race boot. I can tell you straight up, it's not about my strength, it's all timing and balance. You won't learn that from TTS.
h.harb

Postby Erik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Harald-

Thanks for producing this great pair of videos. This would be a great topic in a morning Chalk Talk at the PMTS camp next week.

Erik
Erik

Postby Erik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm

And for anybody that missed Part 1, Skiing like Experts, by Tipping the Skis, Boots, and Legs, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpHQl1B73I&feature=player_embedded
Erik

Postby HighAngles » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:50 pm

It's still pretty funny watching Harald trying to show extension and pushing! It's such a foreign movement pattern for him that the good movements still keep creeping into the demonstration of the bad movements.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Most will also notice if you have the bad movements, how they creep in when you are learning the good ones. So the reverse is also true, you have to practice. I never practice the bad ones, therefore they are hard for me to demonstrate and they feel terrible as well. It's not bad skiing that hold people back, it's making the wrong decisions about your movements that holds skiers back.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System