Fist day on the snow yesterday Using PMTS-Good Day!

PMTS Forum

Re: Fist day on the snow yesterday Using PMTS-Good Day!

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:51 pm

The perfect combo, Darn Tough wool, thin socks, intuition comp liners, boot muffs and if that still doesn't do it, Hotronics or your boots are too small, that's rarely the issue.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:56 pm

I have said those before on the forum and it does not apply to everyone but more than most. If your feet and hands are cold, the first thing to do is add an extra layer to the core. Harald's feet never get cold and neither do mine even in sub zero temps that I ski in at times in Montana. Part of the reason is that I have excellent circulation to my extremities but the other part is that I keep my core really warm. I use double layers of down on cold days and usually when it gets even colder if I feel my feet starting to get cold if I put on another layer they immediately warm up. If your core is only slightly cold, your body will shut down the circulation to your extremities. If you look at how Harald dresses for skiing he wears much more than most wear in the same temps. Part is due to his skiing efficiency but he also knows how to keep his core warm.

Now some people have chronic issues with keeping their extremities warm so what I am saying will not cure cold feet for everyone, but it will for many. The combo of a warm core with boot gloves goes a long ways.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby milesb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:51 pm

The head also needs to be warm. An under helmet liner helps alot.
Disclaimer- I do 1/2 of my skiing after April 1st. :wink:
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Right, my head is always warm, two hats and a neck gaiter or gator what ever, today. It's minus -16 out right now.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 am

HH when are you going to give in and start wearing a helmet? They are by far warmer with a hoodie than any hat combo could possibly be. :)
Basil j

Postby geoffda » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:39 am

h.harb wrote:Right, my head is always warm, two hats and a neck gaiter or gator what ever, today. It's minus -16 out right now.

Yep, my head and feet are going to be very warm today because I'm staying inside!
geoffda

Postby pbuddingh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am

Another reason to tip. tip and tip some more.

I'm one with poor circulation to extremities. Use Hotronics, core insulation etc.

Nevertheless the best solution to cold feet that I have learned is to tip more. The more active my feet inside the boot the warmer I am.
pbuddingh

Postby skijim13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am

I always start off with the correct layers, and warm boots in addition to boot heaters. I used to run boot warmers on my way over to the mountain in the truck, just purchased the heated boot bags for this season, can't wait to try them.
skijim13

Postby Basil j » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:48 pm

DaY 4 & 5 complete. I focused on only 3 things this weekend:
1.Using the Phantom turn, or inside free foot to initiate every turn. The steeper and icier, the more I tipped and pulled back my inside foot. Did several runs pushing the free foot heel to the outside foot boot heel and several runs with the inside shovel never leaving the snow and lifting the tail and pulling back while aggressively tipping.
Got good solid edges and have really identified that I lean into the hill on my right to left turns and stand much more solidly going to my right. Interesting when you commit to the outside ski, that if there is any sitting back or balance issue it becomes immediately apparent.
2. Keeping my pole baskets infront of my ankles and leading every turn with my inside hand.This kept me over my skis nicely.
3. Counter balancing on every turn.My goals was to really feel a squeeze at the bottom of my rib cage on my left side for every right turn and on my right side for every left turn.
My daughter was skiing with me copying my movements and i could see an improvement in her posture and stance by the end of the weekend. I told her what I was working on, showed her the movements and then let her go, just to see if she would embrace them or not. At first she was a little confused and looking clumsy, but by the end of the weekend she was starting to use her inside foot very well and really finishing her turns nicely.

Repetiton is key here, just like hitting thousands of groundstroke in tennis. Staying flexed is starting to feel very right now and I immediately realize when I am using any up movements. We were skiing under some guns today and I saw skier after skier lifting and pivoting to start new turns. I stayed committed to staying flexed and continuous tipping movements and I got through the crud effortlessly, even on my skinny slalom sticks.
Good stuff. My circle of regular ski friends are already noticing I am doing something different this year and many have commented on how much smoother and relaxed my skiing is this season.
Last edited by Basil j on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Basil j

Postby bogiek » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

3. Counter bending on every turn.My goals was to really feel a squeeze in my rib cage on my left side for every left turn and on my right side for every right turn { ??? }
bogiek

Postby Basil j » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 am

bogiek wrote:3. Counter balancing on every turn.My goals was to really feel a squeeze in my rib cage on my left side for every left turn and on my right side for every right turn { ??? }

whoops, I had it wrong: Counter balancing on every turn.My goals was to really feel a squeeze at the bottom of my rib cage on my left side for every right turn and on my right side for every left turn.
Really wanted to feel the pinch between my rib cage and hips, firing the obliques and keeping my inside hip high.
Last edited by Basil j on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil j

Postby HighAngles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am

You mean counterbalancing.
HighAngles

Postby Basil j » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 am

HighAngles wrote:You mean counterbalancing.

Yes. sorry, still learning the terms.
Basil j

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 pm

I can't hear what I need to hear with a helmet. I can dodge the fast out of control skiers and boarders better without a helmet. I'm not worried about my head from falling.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Basil, have your daughter get some photos or video of your skiing for us to r̶i̶p̶ ̶a̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ offer suggestions......:wink:

Counter acting is turning the hips & trunk toward the outside of the turn. It is very important in its own right, and it facilitates counter balancing. We can bend forward more than we can bend sideways, so turning the hips to the outside helps the bend to the outside. Use the hip-o-meter. It illustrates counter acting for you very well.

The only time I had cold feet was with factory liners in my Nordica Doberman boots. They were thin with great responsiveness but not great insulation. For the core, the Mountain Hardware Compressor jacket with 120 gm. "Thermal Q" polyfill insulation is surprisingly warm for its thickness.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System