This is how it works for most skiers.

PMTS Forum

Re: This is how it works for most skiers.

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20 pm

We are going to Rock the House with my indoor presentation at Whistler. I put together a power point projector slide show, very strong.

The theme, why Harb Ski systems uses PMTS Direct Parallel at our camps. Also, I have many slides that demonstrate Why our campers like PMTS and why they come back to get more.
h.harb

Postby Ihamilton » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 am

HH, you are bringing your show right into the lair of the CSIA's most powerful pride. Good work, I am going to enjoy the show. Just in case things get hot I will have a car at the back door with a driver and the motor running.
Ihamilton

Postby ToddW » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 pm

skijim13,

Harald went up to Whistler last year too. One of his coaches, Jay aka Skiersynergy, put a video of last year's presentation up on his website. Here's the link

https://skiersynergy.com/index.php/blog ... ation-2012

It's 83 minutes long, so sit back and take notes!
ToddW

Postby Brennan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:58 pm

This presentation is a tour de force. I have never heard such a lucid, uncomplicated and yet comprehensive explanation of the fundamentals of skiing on shaped skis. I have skied since age 6 and raced at a very high level through the late seventies and early eighties. No coaching I ever received compares to this in quality. The PSIA or USSA should hire Harald as its executive director and adopt these materials as its manual.
Brennan

Postby geoffda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Brennan wrote:This presentation is a tour de force. I have never heard such a lucid, uncomplicated and yet comprehensive explanation of the fundamentals of skiing on shaped skis. I have skied since age 6 and raced at a very high level through the late seventies and early eighties. No coaching I ever received compares to this in quality. The PSIA or USSA should hire Harald as its executive director and adopt these materials as its manual.

Kool Aide drinkers or just rational people who understand the best when they see it? This is why we're all so frustrated with both PSIA and the USAA--neither organization will just accept that Harald's stuff is the best there is and use it! They are still clinging to the "edging, pressure control, and rotary" mantra that makes absolutely no sense...It is crazy. When you watch how fast skiers improve with PMTS and see the levels they reach it is truly baffling that anyone would question the system. Except that PMTS challenges the traditional understanding. What we teach is almost completely opposite of the traditional view of skiing. Naturally, when you tell a seasoned professional that everything they know about skiing is wrong, they tend to resist. Even among those that sense the truth, it can be a rude awakening. Some have been able to check their egos at the door, embrace the system and have become fantastic teachers and skiers as a result. Others are too invested in their perceived status as "experts" to be willing to invest in what can be a long and challenging process to unlearn a lifetime of bad habits. Or perhaps to be fair, some are in the unfortunate position of being good enough to simply be unaware that there are far higher levels of skiing than their current capabilities. At the end of the day, the politics are difficult to surmount. There are just too many people digging in their heels. That's OK. People who are looking for the top step of the podium (or who just want to ski like that) still manage to find their way here.
geoffda

Postby Ihamilton » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Last years presentation was a tour de force. It may be hard to believe but this years was even better. Jay taped it so you should monitor his web site and watch it as soon as you can. I am already a pmts follower and have had 7 days of camp this year, but the power point presentation and HH 's voice and delivery style captivated me. HH 's pre ski talks at the camps are great but this was exceptional. The presentation included the essentials with photos and also how the pmts coaches use WC technique to teach. There was a photo of a 7 year old boy running gates using the same technique as the W Cuppers. HH said all kids at that age should be able to ski using those movements and if they can't it is because of the coaching. There were race coaches present and there was some squirming at that thought. HH wasn't over bearing, he just stated the facts and backed it up with photos and stationary demos. He didn't pull any punches either, he said what needed to be said. It was inspiring, I wanted to boot up and take a run.
Ihamilton

Postby skijim13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the post I watched the talk at Whistler it was great to watch, I hope one day to see such a talk live. I always had a great love for skiing and was always working on improving my skills. This desire led be to become a part time ski instructor thinking that this was the road to expert skiing. However, the more I studied the PSIA manuals the more I realized that there was no true blueprint to expert skiing. Many of my fellow ski instructors told me you had to learn from a fellow expert to develop your skills. I was always looking for something more than the PSIA had to offer, when my friend showed me a video of Harald Harb. One look at the video showed me that he had the true understanding of expert skiing. I have spent the past year studying the subject reading all books and watching all videos many times, the information I gained has made a major impact on my skiing. I even have the videos here in my research lab that I watch during long experiments. The instructor manual is a outstanding book that every ski instructor should read. The most difficult thing about PMTS is the lack of acceptance by most ski schools, and that the training classes requires a plane trip and a multiple day stay for us here in the Northeast. This makes it costly for an average person to move through the certification ranks in PMTS and difficult with a full time job. My wife and I hope to make it to the first camp next year.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:13 am

Jay will have the latest presentation on line on his site by the end of next week. Jay is also working with Ski Bowl Ski Area, at Mt Hood, it is in training to become a PMTS only, ski school. So more instructors and new PMTS ski schools are coming.
h.harb

Postby Ihamilton » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:33 am

We have two groups at WB. Diana is coaching my wife's group for the first two days. There are three in that group who have been to pmts camps at Abasin. The other two have had pmts coaching at WB.
HH has my group of 7. Six are pmts certified, one from Mt. bachelor, Oregon and one WB instructor who skied with us last year and wanted to learn more. It was great to watch his skiing transform and to see him realize how well he can ski with good coaching. We have Jay with us who is shooting lots of video and is great to get info from when HH is coaching others. My skiing is in a trough but my learning is ascending. I am learning why I had a disconnect and that is beneficial in itself. I think we have solved my problems so I expect my ski performance will follow my learning curve.
Jay has some great video of HH coaching us. I hope some of it will be available.
Ihamilton

Postby HighAngles » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 am

h.harb wrote:Jay will have the latest presentation on line on his site by the end of next week. Jay is also working with Ski Bowl Ski Area, at Mt Hood, it is in training to become a PMTS only, ski school. So more instructors and new PMTS ski schools are coming.

That's great news. I just re-watched last season's presentation yesterday. I love the history of how PMTS came to be and listening to the crowd reaction to the ideas Harald presented.

Irwin - I'm wondering what the instructor group at WB is saying behind the scenes. What has been their general reaction to all of this?

BTW - Happy T-Day everyone. Our turkey is in the oven so I had a quick break to catch-up on the forum.
HighAngles

Postby Ihamilton » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:01 pm

We had a great day today. A high lite for me happened this afternoon. We split into two groups and I was with Jay. One in my group is new to pmts and teaches a lot of skiers who are in a wedge. As we progressed through teaching how to get such students parallel I could see him thinking how he would be able to improve his lessons.

Jay shot some great video of HH teaching today. Hopefully some will get posted so that those of you who have never been in a camp can see how it goes.
Last edited by Ihamilton on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ihamilton

Postby Basil j » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:34 am

I just got back from a great Thanksgiving feast with my wife's family. One of her brothers is a level 2 PSIA instructor and I discussed PMTS with him. He teaches kids and had a big PSIA manual which focused on how kids learn. He loves it and I envy him for having the time to teach. I Told him about checking out some HH videos and also some pics of young PMTS kids that have been posted and he was very intrigued yet hesitant about the direct to parallel concept for a young kid. He felt that the wedge gives them a sense of immediate security and while direct to parallel was appealing, he felt it was unrealistic. He is going to watch ACBE#1 and he assured me he would try the movements and see if he could apply them to his lessons. One thing that Really irked me, and I am not a judgmental person was his knee jerk reaction to entertaining another way of teaching besides PSIA. I assured him that it was not the Holy Grail and if he watched some world cup racing this year, he would see PMTS movements being used by top racers. When I asked him what he had to do on snow to get a level one and two certification, I was surprised on extremely fundamental the required movements were and my immediate thought was that any decent intermediate skier could probably pass with minimal training. Very enlightening.
Basil j

Postby Ihamilton » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:19 am

I have been skiing for 2.5 days with the instructor group and yesterday the focus in the morning was on improving their teaching. They were captivated as they are all motivated to become better teachers for the benefit of their clients. It is unreal to think that they are better teachers but they have to hide the source of their improvement because the SS doesn't like pmts. Yet the SS claims it teaches the same as pmts, so what is the problem? Basil J, this is knee jerk for sure, with the emphasis on the "jerk".
The other group, which includes my wife, now in her 4th camp, are all non pros, just skiers. I have taught 4 of them. HH was their coach yesterday and will be today. I switched groups at lunch as I got teaching last week at Abasin and I wanted to see how the skiers enjoyed being with HH. One of my instructor buddies said to me they don't ski at your level so it will be no fun. I reminded him that in pmts everyone gets a private lesson. That concept is unheard of in CSIA where you do the drill even if it won't help you. I really enjoyed skiing with the group. Conditions are marginal but they were very kean to learn. My wife's whole attitude has changed. She has almost as many ski days in this year as she did last year and it is only November.
Ihamilton

Postby Ihamilton » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:50 pm

I took this picture this morning. It snowed and that made a big difference. My wife is the furthest away. The first and third skiers have been to camps in Abasin. The second and fourth have had pmts at WB. It was a lot of fun being in this group. They have a pure and simple passion for skiing so their goals were things like "speed control in the bumps" nothing technical. It wasn't long before everyone's goals were achieved so they just wanted Harald to pick something they could all work on. We worked on the importance of the movements with the inside of the body. The descriptions and use of external cues was great.
All of us spent a lot of money this week at WB with hotels, restaurants, lift tickets etc. All have a passion for sliding on the snow in a safe and efficient manner. All of us reserve the right to spend our money on our leisure activities as we see fit and that means getting results. We all want lessons to improve our skiing but none of us feel that getting TTS lessons at the SS gets us results. Everyone at the camp wants more pmts lessons. WB is a multi billion dollar investment and none of us can understand why some at WB don't want us to spend our money there simply because we choose pmts lessons to improve our skiing.
Ihamilton

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:28 pm

You are right Irwin, the case however is, that the ski schools and ski school directors are more loyal to their organizations and their positions within their instructor organizations (PSIA AND CSIA) than to the customers at the resorts, spending money. The skiers paying for their livelihoods, are not important to them. And until some one can make that clear to the ski area COO or CEOs things will not change.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System