Finishing your turns

PMTS Forum

Finishing your turns

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:24 pm

I mean "really" finishing your turns. I was watching the video that Max_501 took of my skiing near the end of last season and I heard him mutter a comment while filming "urging me to really finish my turns". So coming into this new season it's on my list to really work on that and exaggerate the turn completion (truly get 90* across the fall line) while maintaining my CA before starting the new turn.

I have to admit that there's an almost subconscious observation that happens when you watch a good skier that is really finishing their turns. The skiing just looks better and the turn shape is beautiful.

So tip (and keep tipping) and get those skis across the fall line. :D
HighAngles

Re: Finishing your turns

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Many skiers give in to the pressure too early.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Max_501 wrote:Many skiers give in to the pressure too early.

Thanks for that mental key - that's a good one when you're working on finishing turns.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:52 pm

I also try to get on very tight TR radius skis early in the season. It is just easier to stay with the turn longer when the radius is tighter (takes less space and happens faster so you don't have to be as concerned about starting the next arc or going to fast which you will if you don't finish the arc).

Garlands back up the hill are great to reacquaint oneself with the feeling of holding the arc. The power releasing drill done properly (where you increase the edge angles by flexing the stance leg) is also a great drill that promotes staying in the arc.

Wow, I am on snow on Nov 13. It's great that others are already out there.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System