Don't wait for the first day skiing to realize shock.

PMTS Forum

Don't wait for the first day skiing to realize shock.

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 am

Don't want to deal with the first day shock of skiing and learning to balance all over again. There are 13 separate videos in the "Slant Board Series, with all the skiing exercises that you will need for your whole season. Doing these will give you a more valuable first day on snow and limit your scratching around for answers for why you can't ski like you did last spring. These exercises will wake up your small muscles in the feet and ankles as well as the stabilizers at the hip, lower back and upper body.

Don't want to feel totally goofy your first day, do these exercises. We have racers coming in for boot set up everyday right now. We put them on the slant board. Amazing how poor their balancing ability is. Every level of skier can benefit from this. If you aren't coming close to being able to balance like in there demonstrations, you are hiding your mistakes with momentum and forceful movements.
h.harb

Re: Don't wait for the first day skiing to realize shock.

Postby skimore » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 am

That's funny Harald. Driving on the way to work this morning, 10 minutes ago, I was thinking about a post similar to this for those readers who may not be familiar with these videos. I've been working through the slantboard exercises this fall and think they will be extremely helpful when I get on snow. Doing the movements on the board really helps you feel what you should be feeling on snow, but without having to deal with the speed and additional balance needed when skiing. Thanks so much for creating them!

Here's a link to the series on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Harb+ski+systems+slantboard+dryland+training&oq=Harb+ski+systems+slantboard+dryland+training&gs_l=youtube.3...8092.21258.0.21666.44.37.0.6.6.0.300.4189.19j17j0j1.37.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.4-9N4C_rzOc
skimore

Postby Kiwi » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:37 pm

My nephew who had had one lesson TTS a few years ago asked for a PMTS lesson. We started on the slant board and getting vocab right eg stance leg, little toe edge. After the first lesson he said the board had help be ause he had a better idea of the movements he was trying to make. Luckily he didn't have ingrained habits and made a few clean arcs across the beginners slope and managed to link a couple of turns on the flat. Squashing ants drill while arcing helped a lot.
Kiwi

Postby HighAngles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:37 pm

I wish I had the slant board and the videos years ago when I was first trying to "digest" PMTS and fully understand the movements. It's definitely made a difference for me in my first few days back on snow, but it's made a HUGE difference for my eldest son. He's finally really getting the flex to release movement and the timing correct. We really fought with that one last season (although he had a very abbreviated season due to a knee injury). He was so excited today because he proved to himself that he can get this and he immediately saw/felt the difference in how the skis were working for him. If it weren't for the slant board I don't think we would already be at this point so early in the season. The slant board has allowed us to work together in a warm, safe environment where we have a mirror to provide immediate feedback. Thanks Harald.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:58 pm

We are total believers in the slant board as the next step in skier development. We use it for every alignment session and it shows up all the balancing faults. It works with racers because they can't so it. So they realize what is missing. The other great thing is that no TTS movements work on a slant board. Try extending and steering to change edges on a slant board. where as flexing and tipping works beautifully. It's kind of the "lie detecter" for TTS movements.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System