Need Help to Introduce PMTS to Difficult Student

PMTS Forum

Need Help to Introduce PMTS to Difficult Student

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 am

After watching the PMTS instructor video multiple times and reading the instructor book twice I know that PMTS should be able to help our friend to learn how to ski the right way. Here is some background about our friend she is in her late 50’s in excellent shape, goes on three Western ski trips per year (about 20 ski days per year). She has been skiing for about 25 years, has taken lessons but says there is nothing else she needs to learn from them. Many of my fellow ski instructor friends consider her a lost cause. But I think there is still hope. Presently, she can only ski the green runs and still has multiple falls, and had some ski related injuries, she always blames it on the conditions. She will not ski in fresh snow or if the grooming is not perfect. She skis in a partial wedge and moves from one set of inside edges to the other and keeps her center of mass between her skis. She likes to rollerblade, and looks good on them, I tried to get her to try some ski turns on her rollerblades but she was not interested. I know if we can get her interested in PMTS she will change the way she skis and start to really enjoy skiing instead of skiing in fear on the mountain. I need suggestions on how to approach her to get to be receptive to the idea.
skijim13

Re: Need Help to Introduce PMTS to Difficult Student

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

We need to see her ski and check her alignment, it sounds somewhat fishy. If she has no motivation to change, improve, go faster, ski more efficiently, then there is little anyone can do. You have to find out what would make her happy. No amount of "I know I can make her a better skier", will change her motivations. She has to have the motivation.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 am

On the motivation side I have an idea that has motivated many of my friends. Show her video (youtube or DVD footage) of HH's skiing and ask her what she thinks of that style. Ask her if she would like to ski like that. If she says yes then she should be excited to learn that you can teach her to ski that way.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Good idea about the video, I will try that idea. I will also check about her alignment, however when I told her about how much my wife and I spent on alignment she could not understand why anyone would spend that kind of money to get it done.
skijim13

Postby Ihamilton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 am

First, skijim, congratulations on your attitude. The bottom line for a pmts instructor is to recognize that her learning experience and your teaching experience is a 50-50 partnership. You both have an investment. She with her ski improvement, you with your teaching. If you get her parallel without the falls what does that say about you as an instructor and her has a skier? Your colleagues feeling that she is a lost cause is unfairly judgmental and she will pick up that vibe from the get go. If she wants to improve her skiing, you have the teaching method for her to attain her goals and I bet it will happen a lot quicker and easier than she thinks.
You have to determine her goals. Max's idea is a good one.
I suggest you meet her inside and help her put her boots on. Many people don't get them on right, so you can make sure of that. That is also a good time to build your rapport with her. She will certainly see that the lesson will be student centred.
On the snow, follow the progression in the manual, starting with boots only on the shallowest slope you can find. With the skis on I prefer to do the steps before the shuffles but others do the opposite first, so choose your own. Don't rush her. Spent an extra 15-30 minutes so that she nails every turn. Don't rush her off the green slope.
Enjoy your time with her. It is fun to teach pmts, you always get results and a happy skier.
Ihamilton

Postby Ihamilton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 am

HH posted a video on how to put on ski boots. I had been putting them on for decades before watching the video, yet I still learned somethings
Ihamilton

Postby richk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 am

This thread reminds me of the old joke, "how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Only one, but "it has to want to change!"

Her behavior, with lots of days, but groomed green slopes only, and previous injuries, suggests that fear of falls and injury might be an over-riding concern. You can see where traditional lessons might exacerbate that fear or led her to fall-prone skiing in the first place.

With PMTS, balance is a improved. Further, it is clear what each body part should be doing so they don't 'get in the way' and cause a trip. Indeed, each movement enhances balance and I find I fall way less often(though I hate to jinx it by saying that!).

A conversation about a more balanced and safer way to ski might be appealing, but ultimately it could be a lightbulb problem.

Richk
richk

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:16 am

Can anyone point me to the video on how to put on boots by HH?
skijim13

Postby richk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:25 am

richk

Postby cheesehead » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm

richk wrote:This thread reminds me of the old joke, "how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Only one, but "it has to want to change!"

No, that's the psychologist joke. For psychiatrists it is, "None, the lightbulb should start taking Prozac and it will change itself -- in 6 weeks."
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Look, dude, it Sounds like she's made it clear she'd like you and your instructor buds to leave her alone. She doesn't want it and it isn't important to her or her happiness, and as a woman in her 50's she's earned the right to make that call. Skiing isn't a passion for everyone.

Perhaps the situation is very different that the way it reads, but you sound a bit like an Amway salesman friend I once had...he could believe I didn't want his life altering products either.

Granted, PMTS is way, way, better than Amway. :D and it would help her ski better, of course.

There are tons of folks out there who really do care about skiing better, however,I am sure you won't have to look to far to find a more willing project.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Rex, a little on the negative side perhaps, you still have to give it a chance. As RichK said, it might be fear or even doubt, because she has seen so many gimmicks fail. Clearly she doesn't trust ski technology, she probably had some bad experiences. However that isn't a reason not to try to figure out what's at the route of the issue. Like I said in this first post, there is something fishy going on here and you can't be trying to satisfy your motivation to make her better, you have to figure out what is at the route of her issues. And if she is truly satisfied with the way she enjoys to ski, you leave her be.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Skiing isn't a passion for everyone.

Twenty days per season easily falls into the passion category.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 am

I agree 20 days a year is somewhat of a passion, my scientist side says to keep trying to solve problems by changing your approach. PMTS is the correct approach to use to improve someone’s skiing, since she is also a friend, our idea is to show her a video of HH and then both my wife (also a ski instructor) and I offer to help her if she is open to it. I think TTS has given such conflicting information she has given up on it. We belong to a large ski club and twice a year some ski instructors (level III) in the group give free ski lessons (called ski with the Pros). They taught two things that confused many people wide stance and keep equal weight on both legs many the older skiers were told the narrow stance was old school. Someone approached me and said why do you ski with a narrow stance I then told them about PMTS and the narrow stance is correct. The PSIA is so well know the average person they do not want spend the time to figure out which system is right and just follow TTS or give up on lessons. The boot fitting video by HH is excellent I think I will use it to introduce HH and then show skiing videos, I learned something from it and have shared the link with my fellow skiers at the school.
skijim13

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 am

Well, maybe you have a point, Like I said, I can't evaluate the situation with your friend from a brief paragraph.

Harald's road to carving video, that shows how to build a two-footed release into a brushed BPST is the best six minutes of ski instruction available anywhere, and even the most recalcitrant non-learner should be able to appreciate the simple, yet elegant presentation of how to ski. That's what I show my 'Harb-curious' friends.

Wow, the PSIA guys at your hill are STILL pushing that uber-wide '50-50' weighted stance crap?? That movement from the late 90's produced the absolute ugliest trend in skiing history.

The PSIA honchos in my neck of the woods are back on a 'situationally' narrower stance kick, which is better, but they still love rotation and extension and 'toolboxes' full of ski maneuvers from the dung-heap of ski history.
Skiasaurus Rex

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System