Wide skis that arc.

PMTS Forum

Wide skis that arc.

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 am

h.harb

Re: Wide skis that arc.

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am

If that is not the greatest ad for the Rock N Roll I don't know what is. I was there when this was being filmed and it was an eye opener on what the RNR can do under the feet of a good (in this case great) skier. There are very few skis that are very user freindly off piste (just fun and easy to ski) that will arc turns like that on steep groomed terrain.

Plus it has Motorhead graphics that only the lifties will love!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 am

John, that sure was a great day of skiing. Also, I remember losing a ski, on another run, a Peak 78, binding DIN was a 4.

Just a comment: If you slow down the video and stop it at about 7 to 8 seconds, you will see an edge change. The skis pivot slightly, before I can get them tipped. They are still tipped well before the falline, however I did nothing to create the pivot). And I mean nothing, in fact I was trying not to get any pivot. What happened is the energy of the release and the inertia of the skis (the skis nature to stay in it's flat or resting state) causes the pivot. So technically, I'm not making a pivoting movement, yet the forces and energy of (a pressured released ski) skiing create one. So which is the greater skill; pivoting, reducing pivoting, no pivot or lots of pivoting? And which of these is desirable for arcing?
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:17 pm

It's funny you posted this today. I was making some turns at the Basin. My skiing was starting to feel pretty good then on one turn I thought "did I steer the entry into that turn?". So for the next few I concentrated on making sure I didn't steer the ski at all. Flashing back on target tipping. But it always felt like I had to actively resist the temptation.
CO_Steve

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:33 am

Since I was 13, I hated the feeling of having to stomp on a ski that wanted to continue skidding. Pivoting at edge change makes you do that.

On that note, telling people to pivot, who can't develop angles, is like telling someone to speed without brakes.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:44 pm

What many skiers on above 185mm skis underfoot, especially younger skiers don't realize is, that it's taking a toll on the knees. It requires more effort to create an angle on wide skis "just simple leverage concepts", on hard snow, the ski doesn't drop into surface like in soft snow. the legs and especially the knees end up twisting while trying to create the leverage necessary to get the ski on enough angle to grip. Save your knees and save you 85mm plus skis for snow that can be compressed.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I have bad knees, but I don't really feel knee stress until I cross the 95mm mark for waist width. However, that wasn't always the case. It wasn't until I learned the proper way to tip in PMTS that the stress on my knees was reduced. I used to use a lot of knee angulation in my skiing. With PMTS tipping my knees now have much less stress due to the skeletal stacking that is maintained.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:10 pm

I feel knee stress at 85mm. The difference between that and 66mm is incredible.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Max_501 wrote:I feel knee stress at 85mm. The difference between that and 66mm is incredible.

Possibly due to differences in body morphology/physiology. There's no doubt that I feel huge differences from very narrow skis to the wider skis, but I'm not really feeling stress until about 95mm when on hard pack.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 pm

HighAngles wrote:Possibly due to differences in body morphology/physiology. There's no doubt that I feel huge differences from very narrow skis to the wider skis, but I'm not really feeling stress until about 95mm when on hard pack.

I suspect it has more to do with the amount of tipping and ski performance.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 pm

You probably have a point there. :wink:
HighAngles

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System