Why foot steering causes push off!

PMTS Forum

Why foot steering causes push off!

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am

h.harb

Re: Why foot steering causes push off!

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:04 am

The title under the video: "performing the Basic Parallel using "Foot Steering". This is approved, this is a standard, wow.

The first thing I see in this skier after one turn, is there is no use of the ankles or feet. It's easy to see, it's almost like the feet and ankles are locked and have no feeling. Everything is done with pushing, extending, leaning and twisting. If the slope gets any steeper this will not be pretty. As per my post in the other thread, "What the PMTS coach sees", the TTS instructor will notice that there is something wrong with this skier. They will probably respond to the problem by saying the boots are too stiff. Yet they never worked on how to make the ankles and feet tip from one side to the other. This skier have no idea about how to flex and tip. In a nut shell, this is what happens with TTS.

TTS have many ways to rationalize why the student can't learn it, they have lots of excuses for why the student isn't learning, as Irwin said, but they can't teach to the student, for what the student is missing. Worst is, they teach movements that remove the student from having any chance of learning it, by chance, on their own.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am

With one hour of PMTS instruction this could be a pretty good skier.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 am

Can anyone see the disconnect here? This is pivoting. And I agree with all the TTS instructors and coaches this skier is pivoting. Ok, we have agreement.

Now jump to Hirscher, the TTS instructor will also tell you, Hirscher is doing the same thing as this skier, he's pivoting. I don't know about you, but my VW Beetle, will never go around the Nürburgring, like a 2014, 911 Turbo. They both have 4 wheels and tires, engine in the back and steering in the front, but they are holding a corner in a completely different way. The same goes for Hirscher and PMTS, relative to this skier's movements.
h.harb

Postby polecat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 am

Boy, small world. I used to ski with her.

She's a terrific gal, by the way.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we were in the same ski club. While I had skied before joining them, it was the time I spent with the gang in the club that got me really excited about skiing.

It also motivated me to seek out PMTS.

Like everybody in the club, I really and truly wanted to ski better. But I watched so many people take lesson after lesson, camp after camp, year after year and improve very slowly or not at all. On top of that, nobody could ever clearly explain the process of learning to ski, even after all those years of lessons. I knew there had to be a better way but didn't know where to look.

I eventually drifted away and lost touch with the club, mostly for geographical reasons (they were rather from home for me). For a while a skied with just a few close friends. Then the internet came around and I found Harald.

I always wanted to go back and tell the gang about PMTS (actually, I want to tell everybody about PMTS, friends, family, random people on the street,...) Sadly, the club's website evaporated. I assumed the club did as well.

I wish them all the best. We had a lot of fun.

pc
polecat

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am

Small world, I found this piece randomly on the web. I feel bad for the lady, she could be a good skier, if she flexed and tipped, rather than pushed and leaned. Notice how when people have this crazy foot steering thing in their heads that they immediately have to keep the skis flat, because it doesn't work otherwise. What is more amazing is that instructors don't see what they are doing to people.
h.harb

Postby polecat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 pm

The sad thing is, I think the instructors do see what they're doing to people. They just don't know that it's bad.

Their organization tells them its version of how skiing is supposed to work and they believe it. I think the video is intended to be a demonstration of prescribed PSIA technique.
polecat

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System