PMTS not Carving

PMTS Forum

Postby Ott Gangl » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:44 pm

Well Eddy, that's why I asked why? I know that Harald joined PSIA and became a d-team member and was hired as an instructor's trainer at Winter Park, then left and went to Aspen for a year and then to Telluride and next season to Sol Vista.

It is legit that I wonder why after he left WP, Aspen and Telluride they quit teaching PMTS in general, I know he left one or two PMTS certified instructors at these areas, but only in Sol Vista is it still main stream in Colorado.

I have never even hinted that PMTS is not a good system but I have said that I believe it is difficult to teach especially to never-evers in areas like ours where an instructor is given a 30x100 foot space to teach and I have said that in a 30 foots wide area to teach direct to parallel without giving the student a way to stop or slow down means that they run into the next class beside them.

And I don't need to be sly about anything especially not about the claim that the rest of the skiing world is condemned to be bumbling intermediate skiers because they do not have the PMTS training. That is sheer lunacy.

.....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Rusty Guy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:46 pm

As an aside Eddy, Bob Barnes and I talked at length about Harald and PMTS.

Bob never said a critical word.

I am willing to bet that if you polled most folks here they would state, after watching Bob on Outhouse or Frenchman"s that the man is a pretty fair skier.
Rusty Guy

Postby Rusty Guy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:49 pm

Ott Gangl wrote:It is legit that I wonder why after he left WP, Aspen and Telluride they quit teaching PMTS in general, I know he left one or two PMTS certified instructors at these areas, but only in Sol Vista is it still main stream in Colorado.

Ott do you really expect an nswer to your query?
Rusty Guy

Postby Ott Gangl » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:16 pm

Rusty, I really don't want to get into a pissing match over here, I'm already sorry that I let myself being provoked. I have tried to bring the two warring factions a little closer and think I have succeeded with John Mason and SkierSynergy and maybe some others but alas....

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Ott - are you taking too much credit?

Postby John Mason » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:25 pm

Both I and Jay have posted on Epic over time and we've both been in "discuss" mode rather than "blast mode".

I personally over the last year have been trying to ferret out with the confusion of terms like "steering" to see if things are similar and just being described differently or if the methods of skiing are pretty fundementally different. And while doing this trying to keep things civil.

Ott, you have been a gentleman in both boards during that year. (but I'm not sure you can take credit for the fact that Jay and I are sane and nice)

I also spoke with John Clendenon since he has a current demo team member working for him how that person handles his PSIA responsiblities. Because, truely from both my and John's perspective, if you do the demonstrations required in PSIA you are not skiing in a compatible fashion with either John Clendenon's or HH's methods. He said it was pretty weird for them as they ski what they know they are expected to do in the PSIA events, but then ski "right" everywhere else.

Now, I don't expect everyone to agree with "right" and "wrong", but I have concluded that these two ways are pretty much actually different. When people say HH is just marketing and changing terms to make money, they are not correct. My recent research into Pre-synaptic inhibition and self experiments to confirm this research pretty much show me you either stand and balance (use a "stance leg - HH" or "establish balance - Clendenon" and tip the other foot using co-contraction of the hip rotators to shut down this rotation, or you activitly steer both legs. This defines the core difference and only about 5 percent of the population can mix the two methods according to the pre-synaptic inhibition research I found. (and those people have a general problem with efficient muscle movement because their co-contration inhibition reflex is broken)

So, like the Lito and HH diner article I have oft posted, there really is a different focus on how rotation is used and generated. HH, Lito, Eski, SkiDoc all believe their way is the better way. BB, Rusty, most of the PSIA literature, believe active rotation is the better way. People can argue forever which way is better. I'm done with arguments that think it's the same but just repackaged. For Clendenon's part he is pleased as punch that 95% of the ski world teaches and is ok with active steering movements. It's skiers stuck in that that drives his business.

I've also met ton of people that have skied both ways, recognize the difference, and have made their choice.

Ott, one of these days the schedule will work out and we can ski together.

Rusty saw me ski on my first ski run of the year on brand new Metrons for a few seconds then we did laps and loveland and never passed again. Since that point, I've skied about 20 more days and got a lot more figured out (especially the PMTS instructor camp).

I look forward to skiing with anyone. It's always fun.
John Mason

Postby Rusty Guy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:19 pm

John,

PM me the next time you're in Colorado. I'd enjoy making a few turns or breaking bread.
Rusty Guy

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:45 pm

Rusty Guy wrote:John,

PM me the next time you're in Colorado. I'd enjoy making a few turns or breaking bread.

Maybe you guys could have your own "dinner article". :wink:

Postby Rusty Guy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:32 pm

There is nothing better than a great one liner!

That was very subtle.....and very good :D
Rusty Guy

I always can eat!

Postby John Mason » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:34 pm

I can always eat!
John Mason

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System