PMTS Article in Ski Area Management Magazine

PMTS Forum

PMTS Article in Ski Area Management Magazine

Postby pzotalis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:37 am

I was asked this spring by Ski Area Management Magazine Editor, Rick Kahl, to write an article for the May issue. The article summarizes our first season as a licensed PMTS ski school along with our vision for the future. SAM Magazine is a widely read and highly respected publication in the ski industry. Some years ago, Rick himself wrote an article about PMTS in SAM. Rick is a big supporter of PMTS and a great editor.

We are planning even bigger things at Welch Village with PMTS next season. Thanks HH, Diana, and all the Harb Ski Systems coaches for your help and commitment to our small ski area in Minnesota. Here is the link to the article: http://welchvillage.com/userfiles/files/Look,%20Ma,%20No%20Wedge.pdf
pzotalis

Re: PMTS Article in Ski Area Management Magazine

Postby CO_Steve » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am

Peter,
Congratulations on your success. I'm sure this year was very demanding and I had no doubt last year when we trained together that you guys were up to the challenge. Looking forward to hearing more from Welsh next year.

Steve
CO_Steve

Postby Ihamilton » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:12 am

Peter, I wish to echo Steve's congratulations on your successful season and also an excellent article. The article was well thought out and I hope intriguing to ski area managers. I have passed it up the line at WB, I hope it is read and given serious consideration by senior staff here. I commend you for the gutsy decision to make a full sweeping change. It must have been daunting at the time but in retrospect it must be seen as the only way to go. Like Steve, I look forward to seeing lots of Welch instructors at the Tech camp.
Ihamilton

Postby Hobbit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Peter,

Congratulations on this success story, I am sure this is just the beginning. I hope other ski areas take note that you guys are getting more requests for the private lessons than you can handle. :)

Also, are you guys planning to offer the alignment services? Since the book 1 Harald showed that proper alignment is a part of ski instruction and for many people it is a pre-requisite for success with PMTS. Who said that the resort business model includes the ski school and does not include the alignment center? Since you are 100% PMTS school the ski instruction will drive the alignment business and the proper alignment will drive more ski instruction.

Greg
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby HighAngles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Bravo! What a great article. Kudos to all of the Welch Village instructors and management for taking the leap of faith that there is a better way to provide skiing instruction. I know that I wouldn't be the skier I am today without PMTS and I know that PMTS provides the path for me to be an even better skier in the future.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Peter and his grandfather are a forward looking family. And they make things happen they believe are right. Unique in any business. I feel fortune and thankful to have met them and am working with them.
h.harb

Postby pzotalis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Hobbit wrote:Peter,

Congratulations on this success story, I am sure this is just the beginning. I hope other ski areas take note that you guys are getting more requests for the private lessons than you can handle. :)

Also, are you guys planning to offer the alignment services? Since the book 1 Harald showed that proper alignment is a part of ski instruction and for many people it is a pre-requisite for success with PMTS. Who said that the resort business model includes the ski school and does not include the alignment center? Since you are 100% PMTS school the ski instruction will drive the alignment business and the proper alignment will drive more ski instruction.

Greg

Yes, a full alignment center is also in our plans. A few us have already started canting guests and race athletes.
pzotalis

Postby geoffda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Nice work Peter! Congratulations on all your successes in your first year being "all in" on PMTS. Looking forward to seeing what you guys at Welch are able to do next year. Sounds like there are going to be quite a few Blue level instructor candidates coming out of Welch next year!
geoffda

Postby pzotalis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:48 pm

geoffda wrote:Nice work Peter! Congratulations on all your successes in your first year being "all in" on PMTS. Looking forward to seeing what you guys at Welch are able to do next year. Sounds like there are going to be quite a few Blue level instructor candidates coming out of Welch next year!

Thanks Geoff! Key word: "candidates".
pzotalis

Postby arothafel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Fantastic article! The feedback will be interesting!
arothafel

Postby A.L.E » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Agree. Fantastic article!
A.L.E

Postby pzotalis » Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. Writing this article for SAM was a challenge for many reasons. First, it was hard to summarize what happened at Welch Village this year in the word count limits I was given. Also, how do you explain the benefits of PMTS on paper to a bunch of ski area operators. When our hill manager, CFO, ski patrol and others at our ski area want to learn more about PMTS or in some cases, question the methods vs. the wedge, I ask them to get there boots and skis on and come with me and I will show them myself on the snow. It was also a challenge to write the article using my "industry-appropriate and professional voice" leaving out my true frustrations and opinions of "traditional instruction". I learned this humble attitude and restraint from Harald himself.
pzotalis

Postby polecat » Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 am

Great article.

pzotalis wrote:.... it was hard to summarize what happened at Welch Village this year in the word count limits I was given. ....

I don't know what your word count limit was, but for a management publication you got the critical info across in two lines.

"But it’s obvious to us that we are seeing more repeat lesson business, and we are getting a wider range of lesson guests."

"We are seeing guests who take multiple lessons from multiple lesson programs. We are getting more requests for higher-yielding private lessons, to the point where we can’t keep up with demand."

When managers hear cha-ching, they start paying attention.
polecat

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System