Notes from the National Convention

PMTS Forum

Notes from the National Convention

Postby *SCSA » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:12 am

Wildcard notes...

Boy, have I ever gotten sloppy. HH has been all over me -- he nearly tossed me out of...the chair. So the convention is really great, especially for this...he/she/it. Like always, coach HH brings out the best -- in me and other skiers too.

I paid for the camp on day 1, just skiing with HH and taking the butt kicking he gave me. I'm going back today, for the icing on the cake. :D

One skier in my group went from timid and stiff in the morning, to rippin in the afternoon. I'm seeing skiers who barely make 15 days a year making some dang nice turns. They're on fire!

Okay, I admit it. My stance is way too narrow. ##$%$^ I even thought I had opened it up some. :roll:
:arrow: But gimme a week, and I'll have it fixed. :wink:

As always, I make my worst turns of the year skiing with HH; falling all over the place, just flailing about. It's a humbling experience, skiing with him. The man is all about the movements.

Oklahoma by 20.

################
ttfn,
*SCSA

Postby Belskisfast » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:43 pm

I must admit skiing with a PMTS coach was a throughly humbling experience for me too. I can only imagine what HH can bring out in ones skiing. I hope to find out, perhaps next season. Weighted release on the steeps and early to the edge will be occupying my quest for some time to come....lol.
Belskisfast

Postby *SCSA » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:47 am

Good morning to the he/she/its!

Yesterday was a big day for me.

I had come to the camp thinking I had it all. Little did I know, I didn't. I was pissed about it at first; Harald telling me I'm a hack. Really. He called me a hack.

But then I calmed down, remembered that I'm skiing with the best in the world. The man knows his stuff and if he says I'm a hack, I'm a hack, dang it. "Shut the fluck up and listen to what he says." :)

So I started swallowing my pride -- threw it away actually, and started listening and watching Harald. Harald ripped apart my skiing. But as I started to get "back into PMTS", things started feeling good. Before I go any further, I ski with some fast he/she/its. You would see the group and go, "they rip!". But you know what? Those in my group yesterday have a better understanding of skiing then my fast guys do. Not only that, a few of them make a technically better turn!

Working with Harald, I was able to rip my skiing apart, then put it all back together again. It was fun! Not only that, Harald and company have given me a brand new enthusiasm about my turns. I'm really excited, to get back out on the snow and change my skiing. I feel like I'm starting all over again and that's a great feeling.

I talked to Bob Hintermeister today. Bob asked me, "What did you get out of the camp?" Easy.
1) A much better understanding of the flexing move.
I wasn't getting retraction in my turns the way I ought to. Now, I will. I'll be flexing till the cows come home!

2) The importance of training.
I had developed some bad habits. Skidding too much in the bumps, using a check move too often. I was so hung up on skiing the steep bump runs @ the Beav, I forgot some stuff. I won't let that happen again. I hadn't skied with HH for 2 years. I think from here forward I'll try to do 1 camp per year, or at least ski with HH one day a year.

3) "Still the champs".
PMTS, HH and company (Joseph, Diana, Bob H, HH), it's still the best thang out there, by far, times 100.

HH is so motivated now -- I think he's more motivated than 6 years ago! He coaches beginners just like he does me. I think that speaks volumes.
I knew they were still "the sheet", but I wondered if they were resting on their success now. Nope! The service has got better, the company is better, they rock. HH still stays up late at night, trying to help his customers. It feels great to be connected to it all.

4) Groovy people do PMTS.
Everyone there is really motivated to work on their skiing, it's great. I could hear campers in chairs behind me, talking between each other about the moves, helping each other. It's neato. I met some really great people. I think it just happens that way. PMTSians just always seem to be groovy folks.

5) It's different.
No one is talking about the movements the way HH is. The flex move, it's all HH's. No one, is talking about it the way HH is. 99% of all skiers can't/don't flex their legs to make turns.

We really are different -- I love it.

##################
HH and company,

Sorry I couldn't make it today. My shoulder is sore (i ran into HH :roll: ), better rest up. Please give everyone my best and let them know if they are ever nearby, to please look me up.

Thanks again for all your help. Once again, you have rocked my world and have given new life to my turns. Thanks for having me and for keeping it small. Small is definitely better. You guys are the best.

So let's get small!
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:41 am

One more thang.

If you're an experienced skier new to PMTS, you must be willing to let go of just about all you know. Harald teaches the purest form of skiing, no doubt about it. But the movements he teaches are different and they'll feel weird at first. The flex move in particular, I've never seen talked about anywhere but from HH.

A skier must be willing to rip apart their skiing, then stick with it. I don't know very many experienced skiers who are willing to do so.

For beginning or intermediate skiers, my advice is simply stick with it. Follow PMTS and nothing else. Get with a trained eye every so often, to make sure you're on the right course.

Myself? I thought I had reached the mountain top. I got to a point, then I just focused on ripping. That's cool, but I'm going to think about ripping while flexing and making nice round turns now. :wink:

And I'm gonna get small! :wink:
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:20 am

One....last thang. :wink:

I was really impressed, with the technical understanding in the camp. One skier in my group, I could just tell he/she/it was looking at me like, "Yeah, he's fast, but he's a hack".

So imagine that? Me the "hot shot", learning from skiers who only make a few turns a year. :roll: 8)

neato stuff, PMTS is. :D
*SCSA

Ripping

Postby Guest5 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:36 pm

SCSA, in addition to the critique you received on your technique let me add that your perceptions about ripping need to be revised. Of course ripping is a relative term but in no way would I consider your speed to "ripping." If you "posseed" with even an average group of rippers you would blow up in a VERY short time.
Guest5

Postby *SCSA » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:30 pm

Hey Guest,

Let's not get sidetracked here. I can still kick your arse on the hill, seven ways to Sunday. One hand tied behind my back.

Don't believe me? Meet me at the lift tomorrow morning.
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 pm

Guest,

Not this time.

You're right.

I couldn't hang with Sunday School teachers. I suck, I make lousy turns, I'm a hack -- on my best day.

Sorry, I can't meet you at the lift.
*SCSA

Postby *SCSA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:07 am

"Good job SCSA, no challenges. That's so nowhere. Shine that he/she/it on."

Thanks SCSA, I'm tryin. But if anyone has beer and wants to meet at the lift, that's different! :lol:
*SCSA

Postby MOZ » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:20 am

What you need SCSA is a MOZ free ski coach and poach day out.
MOZ

Postby *SCSA » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:26 am

MOZ,

the snow is bitchin, here @ the Big Show.
*SCSA

Postby Max » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:19 am

SCSA, up above you state that your stance is too narrow. Could you elaborate on what too narrow is and what a good "not too wide" stance is?

Thanks!
Max

Postby Joseph » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:12 pm

A stance that is too narrow is one where the feet are locked together. Often when feet get locked together they don't act independantly. The stance foot and free foot have different jobs to perform, but if the feet get locked up one prevents the other from acting independantly. A skier like this would be good on a monoski and often looks like it when they come down the hill. As a general rule, too wide is more than hip width apart. This alters alignment such that the skier's weight comes down on the inside edges of the skis when standing and makes it difficult to balance on one foot. Allow the femurs to fall vertically from the hip socket when the skis are flat. This is a good starting point for most skiers when determining stance width.
Joseph

Postby *SCSA » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:55 am

You he/she/its are............on fire!

I made turns at Highlands Sunday w/my old pal Pinhed. We, packed a bole, hiked the Bowl, then smoaked a bole. :D It really is bitchin there. So steep.

So I'm outta here again, goin on another run. It's, "Time for me to fly". :) Boy, I'm gonna miss you he/she/its, I'll tell you that. :cry: Now you he/she/its come see me, alright? Come look up your old pal, SCSA! :) :!:

You know where to find me. :wink: :)
*SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System