PMTS Check list Number 6

PMTS Forum

PMTS Check list Number 6

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 am

Strong inside arm, pole tip moving forward?

Remember: If your inside arm and pole tip and not moving forward in the arc, you are rotating.

Because Hirscher does so many things right, you could also say that this photo includes and covers about 5 other points on the PMTS check list. For example: Hold your inside foot back, and keep a closer stance.
How about flex your inside leg and tip your inside ski? They are all there. No hidden agenda in PMTS, it's all explained and based on movements you can learn at any level.
h.harb

Re: PMTS Check list Number 6

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I am confused. How can number 4 and number 6 work together?
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm

BigE wrote:I am confused. How can number 4 and number 6 work together?

4 is the outside hand.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm

D'Oh!

Thanks Max.
BigE

Postby RRT » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm

BTW, better viewed under the March Blog for all points mentioned around Check list Number 6.
RRT

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Inside arm pushed forward from another angle. Notice how the inside pole is slightly bent from the pressure of pushing forward while contacting the snow. I could use more CA/CB here.

Crucial for off piste skiing.

Max_501

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Lemme get this straight ... I think I know the answer ... the inside arm moves forward because it's attached to the upper body doing CA ... not because it is moving independently forward.
NoCleverName

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm

NoCleverName wrote:Lemme get this straight ... I think I know the answer ... the inside arm moves forward because it's attached to the upper body doing CA ... not because it is moving independently forward.

100% correct. During Super Blue we discussed how you can really think about your upper body (everything from your hips upward) as being a single unit. You get your arms and hands in the correct positions through proper HIP movements - not twisting of your torso, shoulders, or arms. Put your arms/hands into home position and then try moving them through the turn phases using only your hip movements. At first this will look like fairly "static" skiing in your upper body, but once you get the idea you'll relax and understand that the key to everything that's happening in your upper body is driven from your hips. That's the most important part and I remember a comment or post from Harald saying that he looks at the hip position first before commenting on where the arms are (in regard to some WC skier pics).

If your hips are moving correctly then you'll have strong, progressive CA and a leading inside arm will be an indicator of that.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Most people have no idea what their hips are doing or how their hips are moving in regard to rotation and tilt. That is why we have all these different ways in PMTS to demonstrate how to keep the Upper body moving correctly. First you have to establish which way you should move in each turn. Then you keep your torso from rotating and use these movements to keep the torso from creating more damage to your turns.

After you can begin to manage your torso; you can begin to discover what your hips should be do to manage hip rotation. The pelvis should move in the same way as your torso. But people don't have this awareness. It's a long road to figuring this out and at least in PMTS we address it and give solutions, in other systems this is lost. The reason PSIA and others never talk about CA is because they don't have a clue of how to mange rotation or hip movements.

As High Angles said, we worked on this during Dark Blue. You want your shoulders and arms to move as one, connected. Then after that, you can make the hips contribute with CA and tilting. I guess people can't see how the inside hand pushing forward in the arc, contributes to great skiing. Every top slalom skier has this going, but even the bottom half of the top ten in the world cup don't have it figured out. Neureuther didn't have it last year, now he does. The Swedes and the Italians don't have it figured out.

Most Blue level PMTS skiers can show some torso and hip control, black levels for sure.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:02 am

Are the points in priority sequence? ie, should we master points 1-5 before even attempting point 6?

What are the chances that us low level PMTS wannabees would benefit from attempting to make point 6? ( BTW: I hope to post video of point 1 soon).

If this has been explained elsewhere, I apologize..... I've been getting horribly forgetful just recently.
BigE

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 am

BigE wrote:Are the points in priority sequence? ie, should we master points 1-5 before even attempting point 6?

What are the chances that us low level PMTS wannabees would benefit from attempting to make point 6? ( BTW: I hope to post video of point 1 soon).

If this has been explained elsewhere, I apologize..... I've been getting horribly forgetful just recently.

Harald wrote,
My personal SMIM for BigE, start to ski with balance on one ski at a time, all the way through the arc.

The checklist is just that, meaning it is a checklist.

Keep your eye on the ball

JR
Last edited by Bolter on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bolter

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:43 am

The PMTS Check points aren't MA, or a progression for learning, they are self checks. There is plenty of instruction and learning technique associated with PMTS already.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

JR, I have not forgotten!

I should have video this weekend for checklist point 1, and will be doing my best to produce a checklist quality photo.

Agreed Harald, there is a lot of instruction to absorb -- one step at a time.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:08 pm

BTW after going through many posts because I'm organizing the forum the photos here of Max_501 are excellent skiing.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System